Can little black box save automatically to the cloud?

Hi
I just bought the book and went over it.
I was looking for instructions how to use Little black box to save files from external SD card reader (connected to RPI) to the cloud (dropbox). There are some instruction how to use for RCLONE command, but I wanted the device to upload them for me without every time connecting through SSH and ordering it to do it.
Actually I though Little black box is a device you turn on and it automatically immediately starts uploading files from SD card to the cloud and turns PRI off when finished. Without touching anything, without using UI interface,…
I am not sure any more Little black box does it.
Are there any other instruction to do this? I do not want any buttons and no user interface (no clicking). I understand there is some preparation involved for this, but after preparation everything should be automatic. So I was expecting.

Looking forward to your comments.

Hello,

First of all thank you for buying the book!

Actually I though Little black box is a device you turn on and it automatically immediately starts uploading files from SD card to the cloud

I can see how the project’s README led you to believe that. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. You can configure Little Backup Box to upload files by setting up Rclone as described in the book, but it was never meant to be a primary use case for Little Backup Box. But even it was feasible to set up an automatic cloud backup, Dropbox is not supported by Rclone. If you DM your email address you used to buy the book, I’ll issue you a full refund.

Kind regards,
Dmitri

I am really surprised. I was hoping I missed something in the book or there is some additional things to do.
Thank you for the offer, but I am not giving up so easily (because I do not have other options).

Dropbox is top wish, but if this is not available I am willing to go for another cloud disk service. I have checked rcone webpage Overview of cloud storage systems and there is a plethora of cloud services which RCONE should support. I can choose another one, if that is the problem. Although I see among them also Dropbox, so I do not understand, why Dropbox is not supported.

Is it possible to assign a button on RPI the function of running an RCLONE command so that person would turn on RPI, press the button and the button would run a command something like: “rclone copy all_files_from_attached_USB_card_reader_with_SD_card remote:some_chosen_cloud_disk _service”

I really want to avoid using UI (display and mouse and keyboard).

Are there there any other problems?

Ah, I didn’t realize that Rclone now supports Dropbox. That’s excellent news!

Is it possible to assign a button on RPI the function of running an RCLONE command so that person would turn on RPI

That’s possible. I’ll add the instructions to the book, and you’ll get an updated version as soon as I publish it. I’m traveling till the end of the month, so it may take some time, though.

Kind regards,
Dmitri

Just out of curiosity, why do you need this functionality? I mean, Little Backup Box is designed to act as an offline backup appliance that you’d usually use when you travel. Most hotels have very slow upload connections. And virtually all hotels use captive portals, so you can’t even connect Little Backup Box to the hotel’s Wi-Fi. What scenario do you have in mind?

My setup has great internet connection (LAN cable with DHCP, without WIFI) and only 100 or 200 pictures per upload, but there will be many uploads, so I need to keep uploading time (the time person uses to arrange the upload, not actual upload) to minimum and I can not rely on technical capabilities of person uploading.
The person uploading, is doing me a favor by taking pictures and uploading them. I need to keep his work time to minimum, in order for him to be satisfied. He is an older person and I cannot count on him logging online and uploading with PC the pictures by himself.
The value of photos is not big, so if one day some get lost because of some communication problem is not a very big problem. Although this is a possible problem to think about and try to avoid. In case there is no visual feedback, problems like full cloud disk or communication problems, may happen.