Can Natron benefit from this open source movement

OUR MISSION The mission of the Academy Software Foundation (ASWF) is to increase the quality and quantity of contributions to the content creation industry’s open source software base; to provide a neutral forum to coordinate cross-project efforts; to provide a common built and test infrastructure; and to provide individuals and organizations a clear path to participation in advancing our open source ecosystem.

PARTICIPATE AS A DEVELOPER We are always looking for developers to join our existing group of technical open source contributors. If you are interested in helping support the industry’s open source community, and want to join a diverse and inclusive community, we encourage you to get involved.

Developing the open source software, coordinating cross-project efforts, and providing a common infrastructure is only possible with the generous support of our members. Learn more about how your organization can help support these efforts.

Since the ASWF is finance by big proprietary enterprise such as autodesk, dreamwork and the foundry I realy don’t think they want to finance opensource software like Natron, It’s more likely the opposit.
I think there goal is to develop standards like openEXR and Alembic.
But maybe i’m wrong (I hope)

Hm, Natron is missing on their poster which you can find e.g. here: Hollywood Casts Open Source Software in Starring Role - OMG! Ubuntu!. However, some others are there that are not related to the funding companies, e.g. Gimp.

1 Like

More on the topic

Example of how it will work:

Rob Bredow uses OpenEXR as an example of something that might move to ASWF. “A good example is, lets imagine that ILM wanted to hand over, OpenEXR to the Academy Software Foundation. First, ILM would take the project, fill out a submission form on the ASWF website and say that ILM would like to pass this over to the ASWF. Next the ASWF would analyse it, and make sure that that it is a good fit. The application would be reviewed to decide about formally bringing it in or not. Part of this is to make sure that they have the right resources to properly support it. Once accepted, it would be brought in to the Foundation formally. It would still be Open Source, but it would now have additional resources surrounding that work”.

2 Likes