Can Raw Therapy stitch a Panorama?

Apply some of RawTherapee’s noise reduction, it works well.

1 Like

Did you edit the frames in RawTherapee first, or just go directly into Hugin?

You can drag-and-drop images or files directly into the post editor here if you’d like to share them or demonstrate anything. :smiley:

I did not edit them first since what I want to do is have a Panorama file with all the information that were contained in the RAW files from my camera and then edit that file afterwards.

Its way easier to know how to edit an image when you can see all of it at the same time, you know.

Anyway, I have another question now, why does Hugin make TIFF files for each individual file that I put in before stitching? I dont need a TIFF version of the original files, I only to save the panorama.

Hugin makes tiffs, then stitches them into a larger tiff for you. You can delete the unnecessary tiff files.

Yeah, it’s a little weird, but hopefully I can explain without mangling things too much.

Basically, your raw file contains the raw data from your camera in some format. Viewing that raw data is not like you see in Lr or RT - the data has to be de-mosaiced before it can really be viewed in a way you’re likely accustomed to. This is usually one of the very first steps done to raw data before you even start editing other things about it. Those RGB values have to be built from the mosaiced image.

So yes, it can be hard to know how to edit the image before you start stitching. I totally understand.

Hugin needs to create a viewable image to map the point-matching when creating the panorama. So it will generate intermediate files that it works from in order to do feature-matching and the eventual pixel-bending that occurs when making a panorama. You can skip the tiff version of the original files if you only ask for a blended output (I think - I haven’t looked at the interface in a few versions so they may have changed something).

Im not 100% sure I understand, but let me ask you this, am I doing it wrong by stitching a panorama from the RAW files without opening them in RawTherapee first and then exporting 32 bit RAW files?

Or is how I am doing it normal?

Also, I appreciate all the help!

I don’t know how proficient Hugin is at demosaicing raw files. What most of us do is for example:

1. Convert the raw files in RT with a neutral profile straight to high bit depth tiff (16-bit floating-point is probably enough, otherwise go to 32-bit). There’s some info here on using the “unclipped” profile in RT to export files without clipping data.
  2. Feed Hugin with those tiff files and stitch them, choose the TIFF output format for the panorama.
  3. Open the stitched panorama in RT and process it the way you want.

It’s impossible for us to know why your first try was noisy, we’d need to see the original files and we could probably be of better help if we can try ourselves and provide you with a workflow.

2 Likes

LR HDR and Panorama DNG are not raw they are demosaiced. I don’t think it is possible to stitch or merge raw data like that. My guess would be the HDR is 32 bit and the Pano 16 bit. In other software the workflow would be to do your base adjustments in your raw converter then export 16 bit tif. Stitch then edit the stitched tif in your software of choice the rest of the way.