Can RT be used for de-fishing images?

Hi,

I’ve just bought myself a Samyang 7.5mm fisheye for my m4/3 cameras. I’ll probably leave most images as is but there may be some occasions where I want to de-fish the image.

As far as I can see, the tools in RT are only designed to correct normal lens distortion but nothing as extreme as fisheye. Is there any way of using RT for this or is it best to use a 3rd party tool after RT has processed the RAW file?

Thanks.

@TooWaBoo did that and described how to do it, you could search this forum or hope he replies.

Fisheye is not really a distortion, it’s a projection. I don’t know of a better libre program for re-projecting photos (from fisheye to rectilinear) than Hugin.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion.
I’ve used Hugin in the past to stitch images into a panorama and it did a pretty good job. I’ll get the latest version and give it a go.

Below you’ll find the settings and files for RT. Maybe it helps. Rename the file extension from .txt to .lcp
The results are very close to Hugin

Samyang 8mm Panini.txt (1017 Bytes)
Samyang 8mm Rectlinear.txt (1016 Bytes)

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll try that.

These profiles work quite nicely and fit in with my normal RT workflow so thanks again. I’ll try with Hugin as well, just to compare, but I like the simplicity of using these.