Can Video Be processed with RawTherapee

Is it possible to process video with RawTherapee
thanks
mark
compajazz2@gmail.com

Nope, it can’t.

One way to check what RawTherapee can handle is looking at its file browser: Only files it is capable to handle are shown, nothing else. Movs, mp4s, gifs, pngs and mkvs, for example, aren’t shown.

@Waveluke processes his raw video footage using RawTherapee. I think he has a blackmagick camera. If you want to take an approach similar to compositing, where you split all your frames into individual images, you can then use RT, and assemble each frame back into a video.

However, RT will probably never process an MP4 or MOV directly.

2 Likes

That looks like a nice video camera.

6144 x 2560 (6K 2.4:1) up to 60 fps Max what the blackmagic can do.

I do wonder why one want to take the disassemble, edit each single frame with a (RAW) editor and reassemble approach instead of using, say, DaVinci Resolve. Automated or no, that seems like the hard way to do something.

But lets not digress.

Another way is to export a still frame of your video, import that to rawtherapee, make your adjustments, save them as a style, apply that Style to a blank haldclut, save haldclut as png, open that haldclut in the 3d lut module of your video editor.

2 Likes

Thank you!!
mark

Is there a tutorial or thread here that explains how to do this (splitting and reassembling after batch processing) in Linux? I remember seeing a discussion about this not too long ago but I have been unable to find it.

I’d use ffmpeg: How do I use ffmpeg to split a video into images and then reassemble exactly the same? - Super User

1 Like

Indeed, there are very limited benefits I can think of, except maybe having a top-notch demosaicer. Then again, I strongly doubt that will make a world of difference for the final (compressed) movie. DaVinci Resolve gives you a lot of creative freedom for color grading - I daresay more than RT in some regards.

Thanks!

Directly: No

Indirectly: You can take a framegrab from a video, edit it to taste in RT, and then apply that same processing profile stack to a HALD CLUT and apply that to video with ffmpeg’s lut3d filter. I’ve used this to color grade Sony S-Log2+S-Gamut video

(Note that you can only use operations that perform changes on a pixel’s brightness/color, anything that has dependencies on adjacent pixels cannot be used)

Edit: @Soupy beat me to it, oops. :slight_smile:

Maybe it’s just lack of experience with Resolve, but so far for Sony S-Log2 video, I’m happier with the results from some fairly quick adjustments in RT to generate a HALD CLUT than Resolve so far.

But Resolve’s workflow is a hell of a lot faster thanks to the hardware acceleration of nearly ever step of the pipeline.

1 Like