Can we make RawTherapee look less complex on very first sight (for brand new users)?

We’re going ot here so lets keep it short. The arguments I remember from a long time ago. Was that it’s good practice to read and write code more like prose. That it will make your code better, collectively and individually. Highlighting actually harms reading and writing. I’m not a programmer though so blame Rob not me! :wink:

1 Like

I think you have hit the nail on the head here @Morgan_Hardwood. If there is an appetite for simplification then setting some of the fine adjustment sliders to their default values and masking them would be a good approach.
The idea that RT should be simplified seems to imply for some that it should be dumbed down and getting any consensus could be difficult. Perhaps another approach would be to think of a cut-down version that would serve also as a GIMP plugin, similar to ACR & Lr?

Just my two cents about this discussion, more on a meta-level, as usual feel free to ignore:
I think the main point is that high-level proposals may be interesting to discuss, but unless there’s someone that’s actually committed to implementing such a GUI-overhaul and is looking for a consensus on how to approach it, that’s a somewhat futile effort. That’s different from concrete, scope-limited proposals for improvement. I can’t speak for Rawtherapee devs, but in “my” open source project I tend to implement such proposals if they convince me. Even though I (as many others) try to not touch the UI unless I have to (i.e. that fancy (or not so fancy) new feature I wanted and coded requires a knob in the UI). So far I didn’t read about any such committment and from those that I know/“suspect” to be RT devs (sorry for not knowing) I got the vibe of not being generally opposed to proposals for improvements in the UI, but not having an interest in doing a bigger overhaul of the UI.

2 Likes

Newbie here; I am not only new to Raw Therapee but also new to Linux and no I am not a programmer. Just a guy that enjoys his Nikon D500 and I like the way Raw Therapee opens much better than DarkTable and am looking forward to learning my way around. One more thing stuff should not be an major event just to find the control like it is on some programs.
Thanks for letting me join this site.

@grunt68 Welcome!

Great! That would be the first step from GUI to the AIUI - Artificial Intelligence UI era. The last step would be the message “You are not worth of me!”, then the RT removal would follow. Without any possibility to download within next 6 months.

Work on the artificially intelligent user interface will soon be underway - I’m just closing a deal with Huawei.

2 Likes