Can you export directly to GIMP from darktable?

When the script is started, it adds another storage target to the exporter. Check the drop down list in the exporter and you should see “Edit with GIMP” as a choice.

1 Like

ok, found it. But it only works with one picture at a time. Once Gimp is open, nothing happens when I try to export another image to Gimp.

In the exporter you need to check “run in detached mode”

Sorry to revive an old discussion, but that is a very big ‘if’ in the above quote. Having spent many, many hours trying to understand exactly how to enable GIMP to ‘know about darktable’, it’s clear than I am unable to do this. Even after reviewing 10’s of youtube videos and the like, I have found not a single detailed explanation of how this is done with a named version of gimp and darktable. is it possible?

This is how it works for me with rawtherapee (installed from Ubuntu repository in /usr/bin/rawtherapee) :

There is also /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/file-darktable/file-darktable available (path may differ on your system). And maybe read this old Gimp 2.10.4 - choice for raw import? (2019) — Help & Support — gimpusers.com (last post). But be aware : this seems to work only if darktable is not a dev version installed in /opt/darktable/bin/ .

My version of gimp (2.10.36) under Mint 21.2 shows only a single entry under the ‘Plug-In’ heading - and it is identical to the first of the 2 lines in your screenshot. This certainly does not work with darktable (I’m running 4.6.1) - gimp reports that no raw processor is installed… Neither does it work with the Rawtherapee packages I have tried - for good reason: they are AppImages (either the 5.9 version obtained from the rt web-site or the nightly devel_release, also from the rt website). Neither of these place an executable in /usr/bin as dt does, so obviously gimp doesn’t see the rt AppImage.

I want to avoid installing a flatpack - and I’m not sure that my gimp (non-flatpak) could ‘see’ a flatpak rt either.

I went looking for a binary package to install: the latest via Synaptic is 5.8 from early in 2020; that does not include some key functions I want, so I won’t use that. I looked for a PPA: there are 2; the binaries they offered are no later than 2011. Could I ask then how you managed to install Rawtherapee and what is the ‘Ubuntu repository’ - please excuse such a dumb question.

PS thanks for the care you showed by adding the red-highights to your screenshot - most appreciated.

Forget flatpack, AppImage, snap… will not work (completely banned from my system, nothing but trouble).
Ubuntu repository : default package sources provided by the Ubuntu team, installable via default package tool of Ubuntu (apt).

GIMP :

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/gimp
sudo apt update
sudo apt install gimp

RawTherapee :

sudo apt install rawtherapee

For Ubuntu 22.04, you will need to find an adapted installation procedure for your system.
Can you share or PM your ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/pluginrc without support of raw import?

if running darktable 4.6 from gimp doesn’t work then maybe use the search function. Then it’s quite easy to find: Darktable plugin for GIMP 2.10.36

Certainly. File attached (hopefully).
Ah. not so easy: Pixls wont let me upload a file with no type; can’t use ‘copy and paste’; file is to large, so making a copy with filetype extension of ‘txt’ and uploading
pluginrc.txt (251.8 KB)

Interestingly/alarmingly, the text editor I used to browse this file gives me a warning:
“The file you opened has some invalid characters. If you continue editing this file, you could corrupt this document.
You can also choose another character encoding and try again.”

Trying again produces the same result (computers are logical after all…)

Ah. thanks for this. “fix is in work” - so I can stop beating my head against the wall on that then, can I?

Sadly this does. of course, install 5.8 - for which GIMP correctly invokes rt. I am not aware that there is a build of 5.9 for Ubuntu 22.04, unless I do it myself. On the basis of previous efforts, the chances of a successful build in my environment are, in practice, zero. The work around for DT and rt will have to be the same: export a raw to an acceptable file format that GIMP can read and write.

That works but tends to nourish the opinions of those who support the proprietary Adobe approach. Sorry, never going back there.

FWIW - There is a rawtherapee 5.9 for 'buntu 22.04 in this PPA

…but it is about a year old.

Thanks - that’s better than the 5.8.3 installable through apt but sadly not actually installable in Mint 21.2 because it has a dependency on liblensfun1 greater than or equal to version 0.3.3. Version 0.3.4.1 is available from Debian -- Package Download Selection -- liblensfun1_0.3.4-1_amd64.deb but this then breaks a dependency in liblensfun-dev - and so. The trail of unsatisfied dependencies seems to extend without limit

There is a similar dependency ‘Catch-22’ in rawtherapee 5.9.2 which I found through Google - it has a dependency on libatkmm-1.6-1v5 version newer than 2.28.2. 2.28.3 is available in 23.04, but not 22.04, so Gdebi won’t install it on my version of Mint 21.2

Bottom line: the best can install thus far without using AppImage or Flatpak is Rawtherapee 5.8

Using a conservative distro with the latest apps leads to such problems. Mint is great – as long as you are content with older versions of software. Ubuntu (on whose long-term-support (LTS) versions Mint don’t s based) may be a better choice if you want the latest apps, as the non-LTS versions are released every 6 months. Upgrading is done in-place (no reinstall needed), usually straight-forward.

@LateJunction, there is a pull request to make darktable “available” as raw importer for GIMP again (Bugfix: Make darktable 4.6 supporting GIMP by jenshannoschwalm · Pull Request #15973 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub). And there is also a issue ticket in gitlab/GIMP (darktable recognition method (#10572) · Issues · GNOME / GIMP · GitLab) to make the recognition of darktable more “stable” and convenient in GIMP.

So I think with dt version 4.6.1 you will be able again to use dt as raw importer for GIMP. However, as I understand it, it will still not be possible to use the developer version (master), but I stand to be corrected.

Yeah, I know you are right. My decision to use Mint is very much tied to that conservative - which I interpret to mean ‘comprehensively tested, stable and reliable’ - approach but at the same time I want the functionality of the updated apps - for example rawtherapee 5.9 over 5.8.

Mustn’t complain; it’s not a show stopper - just a disappointment generator…

BTW, there are scripts to send files to external editors and reimport the result into darktable.

https://darktable-org.github.io/luadocs/lua.scripts.manual/scripts/contrib/ext_editor/

https://darktable-org.github.io/luadocs/lua.scripts.manual/scripts/contrib/gimp/

Instead of cloning the scripts repo manually and editing luarc, I recommend the installer described here: darktable 4.6 user manual - lua scripts installer

Very useful - thank you