Cannot compile RT code in Windows 8.1 Pro

Hello,

I am trying to compile 64Bit RT for windows using the instructions here: Windows - RawPedia

I used the following guide to setup MSys: https://msys2.github.io/

I am getting error when trying to make and install Clearlooks. The output is:

• Making install in engines
  • make[1]: Entering directory ‘/home/Manek Smit/gtk-engines-2.21.0/engines’
  • Making install in support
  • make[2]: Entering directory ‘/home/Manek Smit/gtk-engines-2.21.0/engines/support’
  • make[3]: Entering directory ‘/home/Manek Smit/gtk-engines-2.21.0/engines/support’
  • make[3]: Nothing to be done for ‘install-exec-am’.
  • make[3]: Nothing to be done for ‘install-data-am’.
  • make[3]: Leaving directory ‘/home/Manek Smit/gtk-engines-2.21.0/engines/support’
  • make[2]: Leaving directory ‘/home/Manek Smit/gtk-engines-2.21.0/engines/support’
  • Making install in clearlooks
  • make[2]: Entering directory ‘/home/Manek Smit/gtk-engines-2.21.0/engines/clearlooks’
  • make[3]: Entering directory ‘/home/Manek Smit/gtk-engines-2.21.0/engines/clearlooks’
  • make[3]: Nothing to be done for ‘install-exec-am’.
  • /usr/bin/mkdir -p ‘/mingw64/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines’
  • /bin/sh …/…/libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c libclearlooks.la ‘/mingw64/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines’
  • libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c .libs/libclearlooks.dll.a /mingw64/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libclearlooks.dll.a
  • libtool: install: base_file=basename libclearlooks.la
  • libtool: install: dlpath=/bin/sh 2>&1 -c '. .libs/'libclearlooks.la'i; echo libclearlooks.dll'
  • libtool: install: dldir=/mingw64/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/dirname libclearlooks.dll
  • libtool: install: test -d /mingw64/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/. || mkdir -p /mingw64/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/.
  • libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c .libs/libclearlooks.dll /mingw64/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/./libclearlooks.dll
  • libtool: install: chmod a+x /mingw64/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/./libclearlooks.dll
  • libtool: install: if test -n ‘’ && test -n ‘strip --strip-unneeded’; then eval ‘strip --strip-unneeded /mingw64/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/./libclearlooks.dll’ || exit 0; fi
  • libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c .libs/libclearlooks.lai /mingw64/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libclearlooks.la
  • /bin/sh: /home/Manek: No such file or directory
  • make[3]: *** [Makefile:381: install-engineLTLIBRARIES] Error 127
  • make[3]: Leaving directory ‘/home/Manek Smit/gtk-engines-2.21.0/engines/clearlooks’
  • make[2]: *** [Makefile:631: install-am] Error 2
  • make[2]: Leaving directory ‘/home/Manek Smit/gtk-engines-2.21.0/engines/clearlooks’
  • make[1]: *** [Makefile:320: install-recursive] Error 1
  • make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/home/Manek Smit/gtk-engines-2.21.0/engines’
  • make: *** [Makefile:448: install-recursive] Error 1

Thanks,

IL

Hey

You don’t need clearlooks when building the gtk3 branch. Switch to the gtk3 branch by running git checkout gtk3 && git pull, then delete the build folder and resume from the part of the guide which tells you to create the build folder.

I updated the whole guide to, among other things, make the GTK2/GTK3 choice more clear:

http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Windows

1 Like

Hello Morgan,

Thank you for useful directions.

Now I am getting this error:

* [ 42%] Building CXX object rtgui/CMakeFiles/rth.dir/paramsedited.cc.obj
* gcc: error: Smit/RawTherapee/build/rtgui: No such file or directory
* C:\msys64\mingw64\bin\windres.exe: preprocessing failed.
* make[2]: *** [rtgui/CMakeFiles/rth.dir/build.make:87: rtgui/CMakeFiles/rth.dir/myicon.rc.obj] Error 1
* make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
* make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:236: rtgui/CMakeFiles/rth.dir/all] Error 2
* make: *** [Makefile:128: all] Error 2

What mistake am I making here?

I also observed that if I run this command (C:\msys64\mingw64\bin\windres.exe) individually it crashes!

Thanks,

IL

No idea, I don’t compile on Windows. Try deleting your build folder to start clean, if you haven’t yet.

Hey @InsideLogic
As I never went upon these errors, I am kind of guessing that can happen. So I fear it will be of very little help.
I am on W10 and installation and use of MSYS2 was straightforward.

1- I retested the MSYS2 installation procedure as provided in rawpedia. I went through all steps without error and ended with a working MSYS2. During installation I use the" MSYS2 shell" only and frequently close it and restarts. You should not have error during install.
Try to update with “pacman -Syu” inside MSys2 shell

2-absolutly avoid blanks inside directory names

3- when you build something use the mingw64 shell (I am sure that you did that)

What you can try:

• try to rebuild as Morgan-Harwood suggested
  • if fail, reinstall MSYS2 checking that you dont have error message. Libclearlooks must build without problem.

Thats all that I can think about now.

@ilias_giarimis, @heckflosse do you have some other idea

André

Some time ago I also had errors when building in a folder which has a space (blank) somewhere in folder structure. Maybe that’s the case here. Is there a space (blank) before Smit eventually?

@InsideLogic for reference: Error building using msys an Win64 · Issue #3101 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

@InsideLogic To avoid moving all that stuff to a folder without blanks you could just try to subst the folder to a drive letter and build there. @gaaned92 knows about that too :wink:

Hello,

Yes the problem is space in my PC name and folder names.

I managed to compile the code in first go on a different PC.

Thanks everyone for lending a helping hand.

Regards,

IL

RawPedia updated.
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Windows