Cannot Import, many mouse clicks on modules not working

Ubunto 20.04
Darktable 3.7.0~git1229.4753dc46c9-1

Something is really wrong many of the mouse clicks not working in lightroom and darkroom
cannot import
cannot open preference and all the icons like define shortcuts and other icons when clicked nothing happens

in darkroom also nothing happens when i click on the active modules and other tab symbols like color right click shows the module defined but if i click on that nothing happens

Only few module are displayed under the circle tab. if I click on one of those active modules I am able to change the values and all mouse click works

In short the mouse click is not working except the active modules which is shown under the circle tab
started DT with -d all from terminal ,when I click on import getting this error in terminal
(darktable:7651): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 19:43:47.984: …/…/…/gobject/gsignal.c:3285: signal id ‘192’ is invalid for instance ‘0x5654c45a0c00’

(darktable:7651): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 19:44:08.929: …/…/…/gobject/gsignal.c:3285: signal id ‘192’ is invalid for instance ‘0x5654c45a0a40’

(darktable:7651): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 19:44:19.709: …/…/…/gobject/gsignal.c:3285: signal id ‘192’ is invalid for instance ‘0x5654c4ed2f20’

when i exit DT I get this error
(darktable:7651): Gtk-CRITICAL : 19:47:19.291: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)’ failedstrong text**

please help

Would be better to post this issue in darktable Github repository. Anyway? I use exact same darktable master version on Ubuntu 21.04 (and just now 21.10 too) without any problem. I didn’t check if I have your darktable messages in console but all things works as expected (open preferences, import, etc.).

Sounds like issues with the glib/gtk target. Seems like you compiled it yourself? Something went wrong there. Got the feeling you are using - unknowingly - a different gtk version for running then you used for building.

Maybe even a simple ‘ldconfig’ can help.

i have not build it just auto update the master branch updates.
Can someone guide to debug and look for ways to identify and repair.
I am new to linux and has recently installed Ubuntu

I thought that 20.04 was too old for the current master branch, that’s why it isn’t built bu OBS.

No, 20.04 is definitely not too old. I’m building from current master every few days.

So what is wrong?
How to correct it.

It seems that no one is able to reproduce your issue. If you have no experiences on linux and no experiences in building and debugging an application yourself : Why don’t you install dt 3.6 from the Ubuntu repository?

The thing is that it was working perfectly sometime back and after few software updates this error occurred.

Anyways I have been using DT on my hackintosh for past few years and wanted to see the speed improvement in its native Linux environment so have installed Ubuntu on a separate drive. I thought that with my experience of using computers for more than 35 yrs it will not be difficult but my experience says otherwise.

Well known programs which works perfectly in other operating systems like windows and Mac OSX will not work properly. e.g. I installed Handbrake and the hardware accelerator will not work, VLC will not show subtitles (snap package form app store) , Sleep which was working initially stopped working, the latest casualty is DT.

I have not compiled any of the applications but installed it from known packages and used software updater to update the apps and OS components and drivers. I think new users like me is overwhelmed by so many versions, distros and package managers and other complications and lack of specific community support.

Sorry for the rant but it is a frustrating experience. Will reinstall Ubuntu and give it a last try and see what happens!

If you have a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS then darktable 3.0.1 is available from Ubuntu repository, while dt 3.6.1 you can get from ubuntuhandbook1 repository :

apt-cache policy darktable
    darktable:
      Installiert:           1:3.6.1-0build1~ubuntu20.04
      Installationskandidat: 1:3.6.1-0build1~ubuntu20.04
      Versionstabelle:                                                                                                   
     *** 1:3.6.1-0build1~ubuntu20.04 500                                                                                 
            500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntuhandbook1/darktable/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages                      
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status                                                                                     
         3.0.1-0ubuntu1 500                                                                                              
            500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages

To install dt 3.6.1 just open a terminal and execute

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/darktable
sudo apt update
sudo apt install darktable

Installed Ubuntu and DT from master branch and it works! Now I have to be careful not to break Ubuntu!

For updating your system and installing applications only use the package managing tools provided by your Ubuntu installation (command line tools dpkg and apt, with GUI : Software Updater). Don’t mix installations done by different package managers, otherwise you will run the risk to mess up your installation. It can not be ensured, that different package managing tools are compatible.
Later, with experience using linux, you will learn how to do advanced installations from different sources. Don’t take the second step before the first… :wink:

1 Like

I tried doing that but as I mentioned there are things which are not available, like for opencl I had to compile from source Neo driver for my Coffeelake i7 and amdpro driver. But I will go step by step now with more research as you mentioned.
thank you all