Cannot install RawTherapee

When I try to install RawTherapee, I get the message, "This program can only be installed on versions of Windows designed for the following processor architectures: x64 Itanium. I am using Windows 10 on a regular Dell laptop. Any suggestions?

Please post your RT download link.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but I don’t know what an RT download link is.

Where did you download the RawTherapee installer from? Please post that link.

1 Like

Just in case: you don’t need to install RawTherapee, it can perfectly run from an external drive or USB stick (I do what with some developer versions).

You can go to this page:

And get the latest official version as ZIP (and NOT as .EXE): RawTherapee_5.7_WinVista_64.zip

This ZIP you can expand to an external drive (or of course onto your HDD) and look for rawtherapee.exe to start it.

This is specially good if you the latest version installed, but like to try nighlys/developer versions without interfering with the main installation. (Big thanks to the RT developers providing ZIP versions!)

I downloaded the installer from RawTherapee - RawTherapee v5.7. I tried it twice. On that page, I clicked on “64-bit Windows.” The downloaded file is “RawTherapee_5.7_WinVista_64.zip”. The zipped file is the same name with the extension, “.exe”

I followed your instructions and expanded the zip file (which is different from the zip file I originally downloaded), but when I try to run the application, I get the message, “This app can’t run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher.” So another dead end.

@jhallows
I see in your first post that processor architecture is x64 Itanium.

I found that
“ia64” is Itanium, a server CPU architecture Intel created around 2000 incompatible with the “x86” processors in wide use on desktop systems. Itanium was supposed to be “next best thing” but it proved not to bring the performance benefits that it was touted to have.

So perhaps the code generated by GCC is incompatible with your processor.

Could you confirm the processor you use, using CPU-Z for exemple and if it is effectively an itanium?

My processor is an Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00GHz. I know, it’s old, but I haven’t had any problems with any other apps. Also, the error message says that the RawTherapee app “can only be installed on versions of Windows designed for … x 64 or Itanium,” which seems weird to me. Thanks.

From what I can see from the specs sheet on the above mentioned processor it should work. May not be performant but a x64 build should work fine on it. From what I see it is not a Itanium in any way shape or form. Maybe it is a compiler thing this is a rather old CPU dating back to 2011.

Are you running a 32 bit version of Windows?

Even if the processor is 64-bit, if Windows isn’t, then it will not run.

Do a:
Control Panels > System > About

or type “System Information” in the search field. That may tell more.

My system is a 32-bit version of Windows. I guess that’s the problem and that I’ll either have to forego RawTherapee or get a new computer. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Probably a small bug report against the installer that it should NOT mention Itanium in any way, shape, or form.

Intel’s first attempt at 64-bit computing (Itanium, with the architecture referenced as IA64, not x64) was a failure.

It was AMD’s x86-64, aka AMD64 extensions, that won out. (Linux still refers to the architecture as amd64 to this day)

A simpler installer error should be something like “32 bit systems are no longer supported”.

Core 2 Duo hardware DOES support AMD64 architecture, so a 64-bit version of Windows should be enough. Unfortunately it may not play nice with even a version of Windows as old as Windows 7? Linux should still run OK on it.

We dropped 32-bit support with release 5.0, you can get it here:

I was not aware that there was still W32 users :open_mouth:
I just built a recent W32 version if it can help.
And please don’t forget that:

So, as nobody can test, it is possible it does’nt work and then there will be nothing possible.

RawTherapee_dev_5.7-127-g984696ed9_W32_generic_191003.zip
uploaded at
https://keybase.pub/gaaned92/RTW32NightlyBuilds

You will find here some older builds you can also test.

1 Like