Cannot Manipulate Folders when digiKam is Running

digiKam 7.3 on Windows machine; also had the problem when I temporarily had 7.8 installed - - -

For the last several months, I have had a problem with renaming/moving/deleting folders whenever digiKam is running. - - -

It took me a long time to figure out that digiKam was the factor. - - -

Providing the folders are associated with digiKam, if digiKam is up and running, I cannot manipulate any folder that contains sub-folders, not even in digiKam itself. - - -

Bottom level folders are not affected and can be renamed/moved/deleted. - - -

It matters not whether any of the folders contain files; all subfolders can be empty and I still get the refusal. - - -

When digiKam is running, and I attempt to manipulate a folder, I will either get the “folder is open in another program”; or worse, it tells me I need Administrator permission to continue and I click Okay and then it tells me I don’t have permission. - - -

I can close digiKam and the problem is immediately gone and I can do all the things that I couldn’t do with the program running. - - -

I had none of this problem a few months ago. - - -

I have exhausted all possibles; i.e. permissions, ownership, etc. - - -

This is rapidly becoming a huge annoyance, especially since it takes digiKam forever to get back up and running after I have to shut it down. - - -

Is or has anyone else experiencing this problem ? - - -

Have I managed to get a switch in digiKam turned on or off that would create this behavior ? - - -

Here is an example:

Let’s say I have a folder that is a few layers down from being the root folder and this folder contains several (or even just one) sub-folders; and, I have need to rename this folder (or move or delete it); if digiKam is running, I am refused and cannot change anything. - - -

However, I can start with the bottom-most sub-folder and either delete it, or move it outside digiKam’s realm; and, do likewise with each level of folders, until I work my way up to the one I wanted to manipulate in the first place ----- once this folder contains no sub-folders, I can then do whatever I need to do that it would not allow me to do before ----- and then, drag and drop all of my sub-folders back in place ----- unless I deleted them.

Can this be fixed and how can I fix it ?

Thanks for reading through; I wanted to include as much information as I could think of to explain the problem.

You have activated the option to monitor the albums for external changes (at runtime) in the digiKam collection settings. This option should only be activated anyway if you absolutely need this feature.

1 Like

Thanks.

Is this a folder only watching thing or a folder AND image files monitoring thing ?

If this option is OFF, say I add or edit metadata outside digiKam, will my changes show up immediately in digiKam or will I have to wait until I restart digiKam again ?