Cannot read white balance error

Hello everyone.

I am wanting to get this sorted. I have a relatively new camera to the database and I have this reoccurring error. Sorry this is a multi-part question. With one random question thown in for good measure…

Error is: ‘failed to read white camera information from’

I’m using darktable git 2.5.0+286, camera is git2p 4.1mm lens.

1- I have a (calibrated) colour chart and I want to make this right! I’ve googled this and I really need a straight-forward step by step explanation of getting the colour balance read correctly from the raw file. I’ve also applied the jpg base-curve to the raw base-curve to see if it works and that doesn’t look similar at all.

2- Also, I have some lensfun style co-ordinates for correcting distortion. The co-ordinates are from 4:3 photo, will the lens co-ordinates properly marry to 16:9 photos? I’d like to get them into the database.

Here they are:
a=-0.0016663
b=-0.0175647
c=0.0217117

3- Lastly, I’ve noticed darktable phoning-home every time it’s started up, is there a configure switch I can enable so it stops doing this?

Many thanks in advance for replies.

Maybe worth to mention which camera you have…

Edit: I just saw you mentioned the camera git2p 4.1mm lens, so a bit hidden… Can you post a link to that cam?

1 Like

Can’t believe that.

1 Like

Is there a sample for your camera at https://raw.pixls.us?

Yes there is, without a colour chart in the frame tho’

which camera are we talking about? Generally, it is either supported by DT or it isn’t. If you know it is supported by DT, then your files might be damaged. Are you using the vendor software to download files from the camera media?

Camera is Git2p and newly supported by the database. RAW files are read and imported but with a reoccuring error regarding lightbalance. The light balance is clearly off and I’m looking for assistance in getting the colour balance read correctly from the camera.

Sorry, for whatever reason Git2P didn’t register as the name of a camera to me!

@paperdigits you’re not alone :smile:

2 Likes
  1. If you want a starting point similar to the out of camera jpeg, see using darktable-chart

2. I wouldn’t count on 4:3 working for a 16:9, but you can always add them to lensfun and see how it looks. Probably a better idea just to reshoot with the 16:9 version.

3. You’ll need to provide way more information about it phoning home.

1- OK thanks

2- It wasn’t me who provided the co-ordinates for the lens distortion I don’t have a chart to recreate them.

3- No biggie. No really, it’s not a big deal. Not on an x64 computer so cannot run darktable right now so cannot recreate.

That’s CHDK-style camera, there is nothing in the raw files other than the sensor dump, no whitebalance,
so naturally dt can’t read it.

How did you come to that conclusion? There is no code in darktable that could do that, so you are either using some unofficial code, a malicious build or misinterpreting something.

Had another opportunity to check and I made a mistake. Rouge ip being pinged. Programs like Ardour have a –no-phone-home configure switch when compiling and I thought darktable might be similar.

I should have been more careful when commenting. Sorry for any confusion caused.