Canon 5D Mk II won't mount for import

Hi all you fantastic people, I’m hoping someone here has any experience and maybe a solution to this problem.

I just got myself a new (old) camera, a Canon 5d mk ii and I’m trying to import pictures off of it. I’m connecting the camera with a usb-cable as I don’t have a cf-reader.
The camera is recognized and listed by lsusb, but does not mount as a disk so I can import any images.

I can however connect it to my phone, and it is recognized as a camera and I can import just fine there, but it’s a bit of a hassle to first import on the phone and then transferring them to the pc :laughing:

And I’m thinking, if my android-phone can do it, my linux-box should be just as capable.

I tried a quick google-search and couldn’t find anything useful.

I’ll be grateful for any insight into this :blush:

Hallojsa, @Ravn_Revheim!

What does lsusb and lsblk report?

What linux are you using?

Mvh
Claes fra Lund, Sverige

Hi, I’m on Manjaro, recently updated.

lsusb|grep Canon
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 04a9:3199 Canon, Inc. EOS 5D Mark II

It does not show up in lsblk output however, only my local harddrives are listed…

Thanks, I somehow missed that one!
I’ll give gphoto a try :crossed_fingers:

Takk, du er en engel!

Now I can relax and go prepare those mushrooms I filled my camerabag with when I was out testing the camera :laughing:

Skidegodt, Egon!

Good luck!
/Claes

1 Like

There are two ways to mount cameras: as mass storage, or as picture sources (“MTP” protocol IIRC). Some cameras only behave as one or the other, some can behave as either depending on settings, and some more behave as either depending on function (I had a Lumix camera that would use mass storage in “Print” mode and MTP otherwise.

Apps can also only support both modes or only one.

I appreciate that the solution has been found but I’ll offer a thought …

Plugging USB cables into cameras puts a strain on the in-camera jack port. At some point, the tension can loosen the internals of the camera’s jack connection.

A much safer (and more consistent approach across platforms) is to simply pop out the data card and plug that into whatever you’re transferring your images onto.

This habit avoids straining the camera body’s connection jack (which, depending on the model, you may need for other purposes someday, like firmware updates). It also treats the data card as the object as opposed to the camera, which protects it from poorly-performing overly agressive software glitches, stray static charges, etc.

Cards are much more replaceable than camera bodies.

Food for thought.

Looks like this old Canon only announces itself as a MTP device.
Just glad I got it working :blush:

Og course, but as I said, currently I don’t have a CF card reader. So for now this is there only option I have. The camera only sports CF cards, and there’s no wifi or any fancy features like that, it is a camera den 2008 after all.

1 Like

My bad. Onward!

Wow, that was a lot of typos! Swiping on the phone, while eating and watching YouTube may not be the best idea I’ve had :laughing: