Canon 77D RAW support - colour problems

Hi.

I am using RawTherapee 5.1 on a linux (Mint) device. Everything worked fine with my old camera (canon 1100D). But now I have new Canon 77D and I am experiencing serious problems with color.

The picture looks great in camera, the thumbnail looks fine. But as soon as I open it to edit, the colors turn dull. And I can’t get them right. I tried to bring them up with saturation and vibrance, but the results are not good. I am able to produce better images with old camera than with new one (not quite what you expect from new camera :wink: ).

Here is an screenshot from two images in RawTherapee. The one on left hasn’t been opened yet. The other one has been processed. Exposure and everything is fine, just colours not.

I have noticed that the tint behaves weird on those images. It is best on lowest values and even the slightest change produces huge effects and spits out totally green or totally magenta images.

I’d like to ask if you know some fix to this. It looks like it is not my camera only problem. I have downloaded some raw files from the internet (also from 77D) and am experiencing same problems.

Some sample raws are here: here at this link.

Any help will be appreciated. I can provide more samples with specific requirements. I just don’t know what kind and where.

Thanks a lot.

1 Like

@Jakub_Krchnavy It always takes some time to get correct support for new camera models because we need raw files provided by users of new camera models. You provided raw files, which is great and allows @ilias_giarimis to make a better profile for the 77D. But that may take a while.

Ingo

2 Likes

Thanks for quick responce. If I can be of anny assistance, let me know. I’ll be happy to provide more raw files according to any specs.

Of couse I understand and thank you for this awesome software.

1 Like

Until something better materializes, you could use the camera profile from the Adobe DNG Converter.

From Rawpedia:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/How_to_get_LCP_and_DCP_profiles

1 Like

@Jakub_Krchnavy if you would like to help make RawTherapee properly support the Canon EOS 77D, see this and supply the required photos:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Adding_Support_for_New_Raw_Formats

1 Like

The above is to get the highest quality support for the Canon EOS 77D into RawTherapee.

In the meanwhile, to get RawTherapee to support your camera’s raw format in an adequate way, paste this into the user camconst.json to fix the white balance (color matrix):

{ // Quality X
        "make_model": "Canon EOS 77D",
        "dcraw_matrix": [ 7377,-0742,-0998,-4235,11981,2549,-0673,1918,5538 ] // Adobe DNG Converter 9.10.1
    },

Then use this PP3 as a basis to get the image in RT to pretty closely match the out-of-camera JPEG (normally I don’t care for the OOC JPEG, because developing the raw file from scratch offers you so much more, but in this case as I don’t know what the scene and girl and her pink shirt and green bubbly thing actually looked like, I imitated the OOC JPEG):
Canon EOS 77D.pp3 (11.3 KB)

RawTherapee:

Out-of-camera JPEG (embedded in the raw file):

I know which I prefer :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Till you get a specific profile for 77D, you can use the 6D dcp from Rt 5.1. I started with Neutral profile and just loaded the 6d profile to get the following result:

1 Like

Re: the above: Use the PP3 I attached, don’t use a DCP file which is not designed for your specific camera. My PP3 does not require any DCP file as long as you add that snippet into camconst.json

Issue opened:

I would love to help.

I have made the images hopefully according to requirements and all are packed here at this link.

I’ve been unable to compress it to smaller size. 7zip performed a little better, but it is still 412MB. But I am able to use my school server, so the size is no problem at my side.

1 Like

If you want to help more, you can also submit raw files to https://raw.pixls.us :slight_smile:

Do you want the overexposed clipped images like for the calibration, or just random raw images?

@Jakub_Krchnavy RPU (raw.pixls.us) is an entirely different story. It’s used by various people so that their software (including but not exclusive to RawTherapee) can check their support of available formats, check for regressions, etc.

It only requires 1 raw photo (content irrelevant) for every mode which your camera has which results in a different type of raw file. For Canon that’s typically raw, “mRaw” and “sRaw” - see the description on the right https://raw.pixls.us/

Done.

It looks like 77D only has one type of RAW format.