Canon EOS-1D X Mark III captures stills in HEIF format

@patdavid

Example of my use-case in my terminal:

Is the lsix that you use is this one?

If yes, then it uses ImageMagick to convert to sixel. ImageMagick supports HEIC:

Theoretical you should be able to view HEIF files with lsix. If not you should write a bugreport.

1 Like

Yep, that’s the one I’m using (modified slightly for my own personal stuff), but looks like I’m back on version 1.4 from June 2017.

I’ll have to check again with viewing HEIC through sixel and see if it’s working now.

Pat, what terminal do you use? It’s disappointing that so few of them support sixel graphics.

I’m on Windows during the day, so I’m usually in Cygwin using mintty (which has sixel support built in).

It’s actually something I miss on my linux boxes. gnome-terminal/vte doesn’t have it, but I did see a couple of experimental forks that seem to include it (haven’t had a chance to test it yet).

I think kitty and mlterm both have sixel support though.

Oh, no wonder I didn’t recognize it. Mlterm and xterm support sixel, but kitty doesn’t – they decided to develop their own standard for images in the terminal.

1 Like

Ah, that’s right - I remember now running into this. Thanks!

I’m currently adding HEIF / HEIC support to Rapid Photo Downloader. The 1D X Mark III produces HEIF files when it is in HDR mode. When the camera is in HDR mode, it also affects the CR3 files. The resulting HEIF and CR3 images are described in p. 223 of the EOS-1D X Mark II manual:

HDR PQ Settings

PQ in HDR PQ refers to the gamma curve of the input signal for displaying HDR images. HDR PQ settings enable the camera to produce HDR images conforming to the PQ specification defined in ITU-R BT.2100 and SMPTE ST.2084 (with actual display depending on monitor performance). Shots are captured as HEIF or RAW images.

• HDR stands for High Dynamic Range.
  • PQ stands for Perceptual Quantization.

A challenge is handling the preview images embedded in the CR3. We can no longer simply extract a jpg like we can for most other RAW files. According to Phil Harvey, “The embedded preview in these CR3 files are not JPG format. They are instead basically HEIF format without the file header.”

Currently no FOSS tool handles or even recognizes these embedded preview files. I’ve opened an issue on libheif — let’s see what Dirk thinks of it.

I’m not aware of any FOSS tool that is able to extract the preview images from the 1D X Mark III HEIF files, including the latest release of ExifTool 11.88. Hopefully Phil can remedy this.

@patdavid are you happy to share a sample iPhone HEIC image with me for testing? I currently lack one of those, and unless I’m doing something wrong (or it doesn’t belong there), I couldn’t find one on https://raw.pixls.us/

2 Likes

Late to the party but do you know if this is the only workaround to get HDR still content working on HDR compatible displays? That really blows if that’s the only way :frowning: