Canon Multi exposure gives pink white balance as default

Stacking raw files gives less noise. In my 6D there is a feature for this named Multi exposure. When I opened them in darktable they turned out to be pink. I figured out that if I turn off the White balance module ( or activate it with red, green and blue channel set to 1) the pictures look normal. Anyone who can guess what’s going on here with merged Canon CR2 files and why they don’t need to have the White balance module activated?

Creative Commons 0.
IMG_3439.CR2 (26.0 MB)

What version of darktable and what OS?

When I open your file, I see the same thing (that’s with dt 3.0.2 under opensuse leap 15.1).

That looks as if the camera white balance setting is applied in-camera (during the multi-exposure processing?). However, I can’t find anything stating that that should be/is the case, though.

As for the “(s)tacking raw files gives less noise”, I’m not too sure about that, when you compare with a shot taken with the same total exposition time (of course, averaging x images taken with time t should give less noise compared to 1 image with time t, but that’s cheating :stuck_out_tongue: )

3.1.0~git1083.ecd1346e3 and Ubuntu 18.04.

Thanks!

You are right that I didn’t compare the total stacking time.