Canon R5 cropped RAWs

I don’t know if it’s a bug or it’s just an unwanted/unsupported format.

When you use an EF-S (for APSC) lens on Canon R5, the RAW is cropped by the 1.6 factor (no way to do different).
Using RawTherapee_dev_5.8-2995-g166538dbc_W64_generic_210613, it crashes instantly when it tries to open (or apply a profile) this cropped RAWs.
To crop the raws in various format is also an option of R5.

Please share a problematic raw file.

https://www.sparapaunz.com/_shared/R5__0596.ZIP

You posted a zipped jpeg file, is that what you are working with? I’m asking because you do mention (cropped) RAWs in your original post.

The jpeg you posted loads without any problems and I can also edit it using the latest development version (5.8-3037-gcd7c5fa61). No crashes.

OMG, I missed the file :frowning:

Same link, correct file:
https://www.sparapaunz.com/_shared/R5__0596.ZIP

Hi @bluc, there may be two issues at play. First, your image is a lossy compressed RAW file. This is only supported recently by LibRaw (LibRaw 202101 snapshot | LibRaw) and not yet ported to RawTherapee. The file shouldn’t segfault though.

The fact that you shot with a different crop factor, could be problematic too. It raised issues for other camera’s as well. See e.g. Apply patch to support 16-bit Fujifilm files + support for GFX 100 and GFX100S by Thanatomanic · Pull Request #6208 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

I’ve created this issue report with your file. I’ll see if I can get it fixed, but no guarantee on when. Segfault when opening compressed CR3 and cropped raw from Canon R5 · Issue #6279 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

Hmm, with a small hack in RT I get this:

2 Likes

Thank you for your test and for open an issue.
Ingo, is your hack something that I can simply do? My RT instantly crashes when I try to open these cropped files.

I suppose it’s not a big problem, since it’s quite strange to use an APSC lens on a FF, but in some cases it could be useful to set a 1.6 crop. For example, when you don’t have a lens long enough and you know that you will have to crop. A cropped RAW helps to save space on the memory cards.
The issue on the R5 (I don’t know how other cameras behave) is that, when an EF-S (APSC lens) lens is mounted, the crop is applied without any chance to disable it.

@bluc Please see here

Read it.
About the C-RAW format I’m quite surprise, since I have set option to save RAW +(low quality full size) jpg.
It’s possible that, so as a 1.6 crop is imposed, a C-RAW format is imposed too.
I really don’t know.