Canonical G.A.S

To replace my aging 450D, and for about the same price, I can get:

• a 2nd hand 70D
  • a 2nd hand 7D (first model)
  • a brand spanking new 760D

What would you do?

I could also get me a lens, but I have got all the affordable lenses I need.

One thing I look at when buying a camera is the megapixels, and ask myself if my existing computer is going to be able to handle required processing, at a reasonable time rate, due to the file size created by the image. Required computer upgrades for increased image megapixels are a cost consideration. Another thing that I look at is the sensor size (larger=better). The sensor size for the three cameras you listed vary in size by only 0.2mm. The 70D sensor is 0.2mm larger. From this, I get that they are packing more pixels onto the same sized sensor, which means smaller pixels, which mean lower image quality. Just a deduction, I may be wrong. You may want to look into pixel pitch for more information on this subject. I do know that this is important in low light photography of the night sky.
Will you be printing the images or just using them online/PC. I don’t see any point in greater than 18MP for online use, unless you heavily crop your images. For me, the 7D or 70D would be best. These are just some ideas that you may want to look into further. I hope this has been of some help to you.

I would get the 70D or 760D because of the image quality improvements over the 7D and the swivel screen.

If you want lighter weight, get the 760D, but other than that you should get the 70D.

Hmm. You have a point… In addition, the 70D, being out-pixelled by other cameras, is easy to find on the 2nd-hand market, but the rest of the specs are still pretty good. And I’m not looking for many more pixels because my lenses will quickly become a limiting factor.

I was having a look here:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eos70d&products=canon_eos7d&products=canon_eos760d

I like the 70d personally.

The 7d is CF card only? The LCD is also not articulated. Not sure how important that is, but I know that I like having mine be adjustable personally. (It’s neat using it like a TLR when out shooting on the streets - people seem to care less about the camera when I’m looking down at it).

Considering the 70d vs. 760d:

The 70d has a higher maximum shutter speed (18000 vs. 14000).
It also has a higher flash x-sync speed (1250 vs. 1200).
It’s also water and dust resistant(!).

They both have built-in wireless, including the ability to control the camera with a smartphone. Nice.

If you can find one with low actuations and a good price I’d personally go that route (70d).

Yes, just did that too. Remains to factor in the WAF of the bigger & heavier camera :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update to this very old thread, to thank the participants. I eventually fell for a 1st hand 70D, after all the recommendations above. It’s currently going quite cheap since the 80D is out.

I didn’t foresee it would make such a huge difference with the 450D, which I attribute mostly to the speed and accuracy of the autofocus. It looks like I got a new set of lenses… I thought my Sigma 120-400 was so-so, but on the 70D it’s a killer. First-world problem: post-processing time has significantly increased, since instead of just erasing blurry pictures and salvaging a few mediocre ones I have to select among several good ones.

2 Likes

The best kind of problem to have! :wink: