Can't start the latest dev version of RawTherapee for Win64

The data is reused (except maybe in the case where we’ve introduced a new icon and the cached version needs to be generated).
Keep the difference between RawTherapee5 and RawTherapee5-dev in mind though: release versions use the prior, dev versions the latter (or at least, they should… and not -dev-dev…).

I still use this version:
RawTherapee_dev_5.8-2995-g166538dbc_W64_Skylake_210613

For some reason it didn’t start today. It ran fine yesterday, the day before yesterday - for several days - but in between with random interruptions. Today I am out of work-arounds.

I changed MultiUser to false in …\AppData\Local\options - It didn’t help.
Then set WindowX and -Y to zero. Didn’t help either.

Any suggestions without having to reinstall?

Does anybody have an idea of what is actually causing this?

Hi @Eigil_Skovgaard

• Is it the white screen in the tip image from the task bar?

• if yes, it is still the same issue.

1- close rawtherapee

2- then I would like to determine if you are in mono user or multi user. So open the options file (I call it initial options file) that is located in the SAME directory as rawtherapee.exe. verify the value of the multiuser flag in this file (located in the same directory as rawtherapee.exe)

3- if multiuser=true, then your effective options file that contains all your parameters is located in …\AppData\Local\options.
WindowX and WindowY do contain something like -30000. Set them to zero.

4- if multiuser=false in the initial options file, then put it to true. Then execute step 3

5- start RT

It is not a good idea to set multiuser to false, unless you want a portable app.

Hope this help. Waiting for your observations

Reports of RT not even starting are very rare, so my only conclusion is that something with your setup or system is causing interference. It might be Windows Defender or another virus scanner. You could try turning it off and see if that improves?

Another suggestion would be to try and start clean: remove all versions of RawTherapee you have either installed or simply unpacked from a zip file. And also remove all folders from %LOCALAPPDATA% whose name starts with RawTherapee. Then unpack the ...W64_Skylake_210613.7z file to a location of your choosing (it shouldn’t really matter) and run RawTherapee.
Unless you changed this setting in your Preference
you should not lose the edits to your images.

Roel,

I can’t be the only person running dev RT on Windows. But perhaps the work-arounds work most of the time, and others don’t report anything - like in my case - up till yesterday - when none of the known methods worked. Except to reinstall. That has worked each time - including this time.
But it’s rather strange when you have to reinstall the same dev version to keep it up running.

My Windows system is quite new and with a lot of capacity, so there should be no bottle necks. Also Windows Defender (the only virus scanner here) has been running with RT for weeks without problems.

Before I installed the current dev version I made such a clean start, you describe, so no remains have been interfering this time.

No, no edits have been lost - but, this on-off business feels like a constant fighting of fire. Why not run the dev version on Windows and find out what could cause the fire?

Has this starting problem really never been observed with other operating systems?

Unfortunately, only scattered reports where the exact cause was never found or the problems magically went away…
I’ve been using the dev version myself on Windows 10 since 2018 and I am constantly building experimental versions. Never had these issues tbh. So that makes it really hard to help figuring out what is affecting your version.

An other suggestion: always start RT on an empty dir:

What I do
rawtherapee_q87nWYsXkQ

PHOTOS is an empty dir where all the photos subdir are located.

Thus, even if there is a corrupted file somewhere, RT can start.
If going to a subdir with photos and RT crashes, you know that something in this subdir is broken. If you can find the offending file, then a crash report will be welcome.

Apart from the out of screen window, I never noticed a problem on starting on W10.

Question : what is your hardware specifically your processor?

Roel,
I know the problem with periodical issues.
For the record, this is my OS version:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19042) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)

gaaned92,
Good suggestion, will try that. I always start in my year folder - but I have never had an actual crash during initiation.

DxDiag.txt (91.7 KB)

I see you have a ryzen AMD processor. Next time, could you try a znver2 build? And see if it works better?

2 Likes

Why?

That build could/should be more optimized for your processor architecture. Using the wrong build for your system may lead to unexpected crashes, and may even be the cause of your intermittent startup problems. It’s hard to tell though…
When in doubt, use the generic builds from here: Release Automated Builds · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub These are not specifically tuned to any architecture and should run solidly.

Ok, thank you - both.

It happened again today, June 25 - 2021.

This version, which should be better suited for Windows:

RawTherapee_dev_5.8-2983-g3f58095b6_20210604

didn’t start - only showed the white tip window.

Setting the WindowX and -Y fields to zero solved the problem this time.
Also this version of RT has been set to look in an empty folder when starting, so there should be no initial conflict due to corrupted files.

Well I’m on win 10 for years and have no problems…

1 Like

Karlheinz,

Very good for you. I envy you. I find it boring to report negative events.

I have not been using RawTherapee as long as you - about a year maybe. But I use it each day and have for the last 3 months totally replaced Adobe Camera Raw (and Lightroom) with RT.

That’s why it’s important for me to report all counter working issues and ultimately have them solved. I hope to reach the conscientious developers in that way, and I offer my share to improve RT.

In that spirit - I suggest you add a DxDiag.txt file to your comment to demonstrate a precise example of an environment in which RT worked for a decade without a single problem.

Have you changed the way you close RawTherapee after reading what the root cause is for this issue? The only way it seems to occur is if you minimize RawTherapee and then close it. What is your normal exiting procedure?

Roel,

Nine out of 10 times I will close RT from the x top right. In general RT will run through the day - while I am editing or running other apps. So in 10 percent of the cases I’ll close RT from the taskbar. Only by accident I shut down the computer with apps running.

@Eigil_Skovgaard

There have been changes and improvements in window management:
https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee/actions/runs/958234326

These changes should be included in @gaaned92’s build.
https://keybase.pub/gaaned92/RTW64NightlyBuilds/

In your case, I seem to remember that you have AMD Ryzen processor, so you should give it a try:
https://keybase.pub/gaaned92/RTW64NightlyBuilds/RawTherapee_dev_5.8-3002-g4d1711412_W64_znver2_210622.7z

Arturo.

Right - Ryzen.
I am trying it - now.
Thanks.

I have been using this dev version for almost a month now, and I have had no starting problems whatsoever.
RawTherapee_dev_5.8-3002-g4d1711412_W64_znver2_210622
Thanks Arturo!