Can't use image "Read1 error: /directory/filename.jpg: Cannot load frame"

Hi all. I’m new to Natron, and compositing/motion graphics in general.

To get started, I figured I’d practice moving images around on screen, but the first image I added to the project is giving me an error:

Read1 error: /directory/filename.png: Cannot load frame

When the image is first added as a node, no error is shown, though there isn’t a thumbnail shown where there is for working images and, when connected to the viewer, nothing is shown either. (Just black.)

When I add a merge node to the graph, connect the image to the foreground of the merge node, and then connect the output of the merge node to the Viewer, that’s when I get the actual error. The image node gets a red outline and a big red ERROR written on it, and I get the error message above (Read1…Cannot load frame) at the top of the viewer panel.

Other images I import seem to work fine, except for one .jpg that causes Natron to crash every time I try to import it. I’ve opened the original problem image in GIMP and exported it as a .png and .gif, and they behave the same way.

Here’s the original problem image:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18zksAvGx1piBuhnSHZlVVrRJFuMLXYet/view?usp=sharing

I’d upload the one that causes Natron to crash too, but it’s a photo of my driver’s license, so I hope you all don’t mind my not dumping that onto an online forum willy nilly =P

I’m running Ubuntu 18.04 with the Xfce desktop environment. Natron version 2.3.14.

Any idea what would be causing this behavior? I could probably find a replacement image for the one I was trying to use, but I’d rather see if it’s a problem I can solve, or find out that I am making a silly mistake that I can avoid in the future.

Thanks for any help!

(And please feel free to let me know if there’s any more information I can provide, or if there is anything I can do to troubleshoot.)

It looks like the problem was that the file was located in a folder with a “#” in its name. Moving the file to a different folder fixed the problem, and renaming the folder also fixed the problem.

2 Likes

Sounds like you’re on your way, welcome to the community!

1 Like

Hi @jlmoriart and welcome!

There is something fishy with your treble clef staff…
My software says Not a JPEG file: starts with 0xff 0x50

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

“#” in the path is interpreted as an image sequence.

1 Like