[Capture Challenge] Charge your battery and take some photos

Some images from Völklingen Ironworks

19 Likes

Had an idea for the “People without people” thread and took a quick shot at lunch with my phone. Tried to do a quick lightroom edit but I think the crop is too severe.
I’ll have to come back to this site some time to get the pic I was hoping for.

4 Likes

Magnificent! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

@martin.scharnke
Thank you!
The first four pictures are from the blower hall, where the exhibition ‘The German Cinema’ was and therefore quite dark. I was there early enough to use my tripod.
Have you ever tried to photograph a black machine in the dark?

Well, no! :slight_smile:
Nice that you could use a tripod … lots of places disallow them, and even the monopod workaround is sometimes verboten

6 Likes

Just before Easter, my 13 year old PC setup has been replaced with Ryzen 7 7800X3D • Radeon RX 7800 XT (16 GB) • 32 GB DDR5, all based on ASUS Prime motherboard.

19 Likes

Very nice. When I first glanced at the image, I thought it was a photo of some sort of industrial equipment — it has that kind of timeless air to it. Love the lighting, too.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

That was originally thought as a Brenizer bokehrama, however, besides plenty of megapixel, it didn’t bring much to the table. The magic is not there, because I used a 35 mm @ f/2.8 on APS-C camera and perhaps didn’t stand close enough.

12 Likes

Finally climbed up on the roof of my garage last night to try to get some better lines of sight for a photo…got this one and performed a quick DT edit with it.
Again, using all scene referred modules, and leaning heavily on the tone and contrast equalizers.
One of these days I’ll invest some more time in to learning some of the more advanced features

15 Likes

There’s still a good pop to the image when viewed at a large scale. I would imagine that with a large print it would help it stand out :slight_smile:

Pastel to blue

A pastel sunset over Lake Buhlow slides into blue hour as the lights come on at a small general aviation airport on the far shore.

I hoped something would happen but the sunset was relatively uneventful.

Good thing this was a long exposure – Otherwise the swarming bugs would’ve overwhelmed the image!

In the original image you can clearly see the diffraction effects of the small aperture (I was dragging the shutter to smooth the water). I even had perfect little Airy Disks around some of the lights on the far shore! But after softening (and downscaling for posting here) they’re mostly gone now.

11 Likes

There’s lots of dandelion in our garden right now.

13 Likes

But presumably they did overwhelm you?
Your self-sacrifice for your art is applauded :wink:

Magnificent!

I’ve been in mossieland for 65 years… It’ll take more than a few to take me down! But even a few will be mighty irritating… :grin:

1 Like

3 years ago, about a month before Easter, my then 13-year-old PC setup was replaced with a Ryzen 5 5600X, 64 GB DDR4, based on an ASUS motherboard. :smiley:

1 Like

I love evening lights, the colours as they shift between blue, orange, red and yellow, with the beautiful purples, and the greys slowly sneaking in. Thanks for sharing these shots!

1 Like

What you cannot see is that the birds are on the top of a trimmed bush, at about chest height. The photo was taken with a Panasonic Lumix TZ101 (same as the TZ100 and ZS-100). This is the only shot where I got acceptable focus on the birds.

11 Likes