Challenge - What can DT do with this awful photo?

I’m a new user of DT and I’m also colour blind (strong deutan) so have to trust the camera WB etc.
I’ve only had DT for a week and watched loads of tutorials but of course, I often can’t see the effect that the tutor is discussing (and they’re saying “that’s much better”). But I enjoy photography so I’m determined to “have a go” and want to have something to aim for.

Presently my workflow is very simple, import, crop, exposure module, filmic module, watermark and export. I may desaturate green grass as it often looks overdone and yellow to me.

So, here’s a challenge for those that can. Using scene-referred tools, what can be done with this?
It’s a pretty duff photo but includes blown highlights, snow, and lots of dark areas. I dug it out of my recycle bin as previously being no use at all but wonder just what DT could reconstruct.
I’m hoping to get a few people’s sidecar files which I can dissect and hopefully learn from.

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.
“Everybody may use my photo under the conditions detailed in the
_1240012.ORF (12.9 MB)
…”

1 Like

Apologies - not DT. I wanted to see what I could get from this image, so I used Filmulator to produce five .tif files - exposure 0 to +5 EV. I then blended them with enfuse (part of Hugin). This is the result - no other changes.

4 Likes

Couldn’t do anything with the lens flare, so I cropped it to one of the bushes. The rest of the edit is to emphasise the bush.

_1240012.ORF.xmp (14.7 KB)

1 Like

Hi @HemiBob, and welcome!

they’re saying “that’s much better”

W-e-l-l — if “they” say so, I am certain that they believe that they are right.
But you do not agree, because your colour vision is not 100%.
Neither is mine (perhaps that is why I am so fond of extra contrast, and
extra sharpness, to the brink of overcooking my photos) .

But I believe that you should “develop” your photos the way you
like them.

A nutty idea: why use colour at all? Make your photos black&white,
instead. In that way, what you see is what we get. :slight_smile:

Here is a swifty to show you what I mean:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

11 Likes

_1240012.ORF.xmp (9.9 KB)

3 Likes

A color version:

_1240012.ORF.xmp (14.3 KB)

and a high contrast b&w version:

_1240012_01.ORF.xmp (17.7 KB)

3 Likes

Thanks for posting
darktable 4.0.1

_1240012_01.ORF.xmp (19.8 KB)

5 Likes

Thank you for the play.

Edit with RT(_1240012-2.tif.out.pp3 (15.6 KB)), thereafter GIMP and G’MIC:

1 Like

My thought exactly! The world of B&W photography is elegant, inspiring, traditional, expressive, and fully available to anyone who is “color blind” just as much as those who are not. Not a nutty idea at all! :vulcan_salute:

3 Likes

_1240012.ORF.xmp (9.7 KB)

Darktable 4.0

In Firefox the right rendition in Chrome it is too contrasty, subtle but it is noticeable.

5 Likes

My version…

_1240012.ORF.xmp (15.4 KB)

2 Likes

Here is my version. It took a bit of overprocessing in RT and Gimp.
_1240012.tif.pp3 (11.9 KB)

2 Likes

_1240012.ORF.xmp (24.8 KB)

_1240012.ORF.xmp (26.4 KB)

2 Likes

Here’s mine done in darktable 4.1.0. Retouch module has no problem taking care of the lens flare.

_1240012.ORF.xmp (14.6 KB)

3 Likes

Thanks guys, this is fantastic.
Who would have thought there were so many ways to do things in DT.
I’ve downloaded all the xmp files and I will go through them one at a time.
I’m learning so much but think it will take a few months before I am confident enough to put Lightroom to bed. I mainly do motorsports, classic and custom car shows so as it’s nearly winter here in Wales, I have a good few months to play.

Yes, I do the odd photo in monochrome but my main interests are motorsports and car shows, and it’s the vibrant colours that I enjoy.
I don’t want to use monochrome just because I have trouble with colours. I did once, after knocking my WB setting, post a whole album of beach racing with green sands, and no one said anything until my ex pointed it out. She did one for me and I copied the temperature to all the others, seemed to work :slight_smile:

Colour “blindness” is a daft term, most of us see colours but can’t detect subtle differences, and it gets far worse in low light. Therefore, for me, I prefer to shoot in the harsh mid-day sunshine otherwise landscapes appear very dull and bland.

My version…

1 Like

Thought I would throw up one more approach. Tough lighting situation.
Latest windows build.

_1240012_12.ORF.xmp (25.1 KB)

1 Like

Hi, my tuppence worth. I tried to remove the worst of the lens flare, show some texture in the foreground conifer hedge, keep the over all colour bluish to give that cold feeling whilst not loosing the orange tones of the sun.

_1240012.ORF.xmp (12.4 KB)

4 Likes

I’ve done this :man_shrugging:
Darktable 4.0.1

4 Likes