Changing resolution changes tone mapping

I attach a couple of images from a shoot at the John Ryland’s Library in Manchester. Both are blended from the same set of Nikon raw images.

The difference occurs when I change the size of the preview and export. When I have a reduced size image it looks fine but as soon as I take it to full size I get a huge change in colours.

Now to me this looks like a bug, but I am perfectly happy to be told that I am doing something wrong.

Some tone mapping operator’s output depends on the size of the image, so rendering a small preview will lead to a different result than rendering the full image.

I can understand that, but I would have expected an incremental change rather than this dramatic one.

The other thing is, this is reproducible. As soon as a move from a reduced size to a full sized image in the other image sets from this series I get the same effect.

@epeeist if you feel it’s a bug, which it may be, then file a bug report in the proper place with the relevant info - LHDR version, which tone-mapping operator you used and what settings were used, sample images, etc.

How to write useful bug reports - RawPedia

Issues · LuminanceHDR/LuminanceHDR · GitHub

I am always aware of my inexperience in these matters, hence the reason for raising it here before I file a bug report.

However it does look like a possible bug, so I will raise it with LuminanceHDR support.

1 Like

I never experienced such big change in output with mantiuk06. Fattal for instance is much more sensible to input size but never this dramatic.

@eepeist I was wrong

13_saturation_factor_1
Luminance HDR 2.5.1 full resolution
13_saturation_factor_1_2
Luminance HDR 2.5.1 3072x4613

Much better with 2.5.2
53_detail_factor_5_postsaturation_1_postgamma_1_2
Luminance HDR 2.5.2 full resolution
53_detail_factor_5_postsaturation_1_postgamma_1_2
Luminance HDR 2.5.2 3072x4613