Changing shutdown time corrupts Pi OS

Forgive me, I’m a complete newbie to the Raspberry Pi world so if I am missing details please forgive me.

I’m testing the crap out of Little Backup Box using several different memory cards, adding data, sub-folders, etc. All is going well but I did discover the known bug with the Pi 4 and the USB 3 ports. Unfortunate but not a big deal.

While fine-tuning the LLB settings, I changed the SHUTD setting from the default 15 minutes to 5. On next Pi restart, the Pi booted to the OS login prompt which never occurred prior and which also failed to accept my password.

I experienced this exact failure a few more times before I realized it was the shutdown time setting that was the last change and was the cause of the issue forcing me to reinstall PI OS. Perhaps I made the setting change at a bad time, e.g. during an active backup transfer? Maybe it’s a new bug with the Pi 4 and the current OS.

I’m reinstalling the OS and updating again and will restart testing LBB again but without changing the shutdown time setting. If the issue does not present, I’ll report back ASAP.

Anyone else see something similar?

Thank you very much for your report! Good to see that Little Backup Box is getting thoroughly tested. :slight_smile: The issue you describe is rather serious. Since I’ve never really used the auto shutdown feature myself, I removed it altogether in the latest commit.