Christmas Quest

Hi, all,

After last days’ discussions about light sources, incandescent bulbs (frosted or not), &c:
How about shooting an object, only lit by one or more candles?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

5 Likes

And keep in mind … capture challenges are meant to be about “shooting now” and not just grabbing something from the archive.

Oh! Sorry, I did not know that grabbing from the archive was not permitted in that sub-category. So, in order to get some nice replies before the season is over, I simply removed the sub-category :slight_smile:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

OK, since I removed the sub-category that forced you to use a newly shot photo (thank you @darix), here is one of mine that I think came out quite well. And before you start nagging me for bad spelling: the name of the receiver was Chris. So there!

Chris and I share a mutual interest: well polished knife blades, down to sub-micron levels :slight_smile: .

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

2 Likes

Just a spontaneous snapshot of our Advent wreath wreath. Happy 4th Advent!

Not as wonderful as @Claes image. But he chose from his stock :wink: .

5 Likes

Advent, Advent, ein Lichtlein brennt
Erst ein, dann zwei, dann drei, dann vier
Und wenn das fuenfte Lichtlein brennt
Dann hasst Du Weihnachten verpennt!

1 Like

What about “only lit by tree lights”?

I can do that, almost no candles around here nowadays.

What do you put on birthday cakes?

LED light strip? :stuck_out_tongue:

My camera is very LDR and noisy. With ML’s Dual ISO and G’MIC processing, I can improve its performance just a bit.

1 Like

Not Xmas related (my addiction to self-reference took the better of me), but sticking to the letter of the challenge:

12 Likes

I don’t know why or how, but you managed to take a candle pic that makes me feel cold!

1 Like

Because it is cold where I live, and I am the Grinch. From Wikipedia (bold mine):

The Grinch is depicted as a hairy, pot-bellied, pear-shaped, snub-nosed creature with a cat-like face and cynical personality. In full-color adaptations, he is typically colored avocado green. He has spent the past 53 years living in seclusion on a cliff, overlooking the town of Whoville.

In contrast to the cheerful Whos, the Grinch is misanthropic and mean-tempered. The reason for this is a source of speculation; the consensus among the Whos is that he was born with a heart that is “two sizes too small”…

Here is a banana bunch lit by a single candle. I thought that its yellow color will be nicely accentuated by the warm light. I suppose that since it is a food item, there is a tenuous claim for representing the Christmas spirit :wink:

It is taken at ISO 947 using a Google camera mod on Moto X4. The DNG file was developed in RawTherapee 5.7.

2 Likes

Probably just the white balance he set on his picture, and the fact it was outside.

It was indoors (still very cold, no insulation) with the candle as the only light source. I did not adjust the white balance. The camera could not pick up the colourfulness of the scene in the dark, but I can tell you that there was not much red.

I am surprised that it worked at all with the old worn camera and shaky hands.

Interesting. I assumed it was outdoors because the out of focus green thing looked like bushes at a quick glance. As far as candle light not having much red, I am surprised, because all of my personal experience and things read on the internet lead me to believe that candles typically produce warm light. Was there something unusual about the candle, ie it was burning really hot?

Oh, I was really hoping to see some posts here. I do have a series of pictures of my kid holding a birthday cake in a dark room and I am struggling with removing the noise while preserving some details…
Can anyone share their best practices in dt or RT by chance?

Joy!

The Sun has finally decided to return to the Northern hemisphere.

Time to close this Christmas Quest
[but we still have room for @Andrius’ son’s birthday candle, of course.]

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden