Chromebook upgrade to gimp 2.10

After a small stroke I’m not as fast nor remember my good old days since then i got a Chromebook for the simple reason it runs Linux and i wanted to use gimp. This program has the latest version out and now i find it a challenge to upgrade. I’ll appreciate if someone volunteers a few lines, i know Carmelo Dr raw did this already and i will appreciate it. Thank u all.

I thought the Chromebook would update itself, including the Linux apps, but I’m not 100% sure on that.

By definition a Chromebook comes with ChromeOS and for linux, either replaces or is in addition. Either way the version of Gimp depends on the linux distro used.

I have a 4-1/2 year old Acer C720 with Bohdi linux installed…but that is based on 'buntu 14.04 ‘Trusty’ and best Gimp obtainable is 2.8.22

As an example, using ubuntu then you need 19.04 for a default Gimp 2.10 or use a PPA for 'buntu 18.04 or use a flatpak for 16.04

The other is Chromebook resources, typically very light. The Acer C720 is 32 bit, 2 GB memory, 32 GB ‘SSD’ Plenty for a lightweight linux, provided care is taken with the chosen applications.

You can add Linux in addition to and it will open as an app, it uses crostini for the installation of Debian stretch but i don’t have the ability to look many things up as before and dependent on users like you for help the upgrade is done with ppa. I’ll look up the post and send the link here.

According to distrowatch.com the default Gimp that comes with Debian 9 (Stretch) is Gimp 2.8.18 No good trying a PPA that is for ubuntu and variants only.

The alternatives might be a ‘snap’ installation see: How to Install GIMP 2.10 on Debian 9 (Stretch) – TecAdmin which should get you to the current 2.10.12 The snag with snap (and flatpak) is using any compiled Gimp plugin such as gmic_gimp_qt and a printer/scanner if you use one, not working because of dependency issues.

You mentioned Carmelo DrRaw and presumably the Gimp 2.10 appimage. Assuming the installed Debian is 64 bit that should work. The only thing I would not like about using an appimage on a Chromebook is the 400 MB in 7500 files written to disk each time you start Gimp. You could use it as a permanent installation by unpacking the appimage. Worth a try.

A pair of demo installations that might help. Hate long videos so split into two
Both using Debian 9. Might/might-not work with a Chromebook and a Debian installation.

This your best bet, if it works. Using the appimage. https://youtu.be/jc-kk3MbI6E duration 4 minutes

or

Tried a snap installation which failed but the flatpak worked ok. https://youtu.be/z-gZOYa1OJM duration 5 minutes.

Thanks, I’ll look at them both.

1. Enable Linux (Beta) in settings
  2. Download Flatpak from: GIMP - Downloads
  3. Move downloaded file to “Linux Files” in Files app
  4. Run Linux Terminal
  5. “Sudo apt update”
  6. “Sudo apt upgrade”
  7. “Sudo apt-get install flatpak”
  8. “Sudo flatpak install --from ./org.gimp.GIMP.flatpakref”
  9. Follow instructions in terminal, and wait for a minute.
  10. Close terminal
  11. Open Gimp 2.10
  12. ENJOY!!

Wrote this simple tutorial as I myself struggled to install GIMP 2.10! Enjoy!

1 Like