Chrominance noise reduction causes size dependent desaturation

Following an exchange with @Lawrence37 , I removed the automatic adjustments in “Noise reduction” when it was used in conjunction with LA denoise. Mainly for compatibility issues.
So in summary the possible adjustments of “Noise reduction” will have to be manual

Jacques

It’s a weird thing is noise. In a moment of lunacy, I once decided to go and shoot all day at ISO 1600 in bright sunlight (my shutter speed was crazy high - rolling shutter!)

Anyway, I watched a video the other day, and the guy was explaining that noise levels were related to light levels and not ISO. So I dug out the photos I took — they looked exactly the same (noise-wise) as the shots I’d taken at ISO 200.

There’s lots of science as to what does and doesn’t effect noise, but I thought it was intrresting nonetheless.

Was this the one where the message was use the iso you need and don’t compromise your aperture or shutter speed needs for your capture?? Or in other words don’t be fixed on 100 or 200 iso shots that you will “fix” in post but you had the wrong aperture or shutter speed in order to get the exposure for the image you really wanted or needed

I think it was, yes. I found it by chance while looking up something else on Youtube; as a ‘street photographer,’ trying keep a low ISO has never been in my orbit (crikey; if I did that, all my shots would just be pitch black rectangles — the joys of zone focusing :laughing:). I stumbled accross it by chance, and I was curious — and I very much enjoyed it, too.

I’m not 100% sure, but I think someone coincidentally posted a link to it on this forum somewhere, not more than a day or two after I watched it — very interesting video.

Do you have a link for the video, @priort? For the life of me I can’t find it again.

The one I saw was a Canadian Landscape YT poster… I will dig it up. So it might not be the one you saw but similar message I think…

1 Like

I’ve seen several, but this is the most recent, from Simon d’Entremont:

Here’s a related video from Mark Denny:

And yet another from Ian Worth:

1 Like

That’s the one: Simon d’Entremont’s video. Thanks, @lphilpot! I’m currently checking out the other videos, too. :slight_smile:

I couldn’t shoot at ISO 100 even if I wanted to; the lowest ISO on my Fuji is 200 (for RAW shooting, at least).

1 Like