Chrysanthemum flowers

This is my first share. I hope you enjoy it! :blush:

Some Chrysanthemum flowers that you may wish to play with…
You will have to deal with some softness due to diffraction, and a clipped red channel. Other than that, I think it’s an easy one.

Feel free to show your own interpretation of them.

This is my own processing:

RT v.5.7-213-ge5258e6f6
_DSC0488.png.out.pp3 (11.5 KB)

Raw file:
_DSC0488.NEF (15.5 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

10 Likes

Where is the link to the raw?

:flushed: Uppsss!

Now it is where it should have, sorry! :cold_sweat:

1 Like

_DSC0488.jpg.out.pp3 (12.0 KB)

4 Likes

Beautiful. Time for some tea before I play.

darktable 3.0

_DSC0488.NEF.xmp (9.8 KB)

4 Likes

_DSC0488.NEF.xmp (5.7 KB) _DSC0488_01.NEF.xmp (6.7 KB)

5 Likes

Great shot :ok_hand:

_DSC0488.NEF.xmp (13.5 KB, darktable 2.6.2)

2 Likes

That’s the first Play raw for which I can not say definitely, which my preferred edit is. So many different edits, and all are good :+1:

2 Likes

Same here! :grinning:

I didn’t expect that many different interpretations. Love them all!!! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Beautiful composition and use of color…

I just wanted that yellow flower to pop out. So, after “neutral” processing, I just applied this S-curve:

_DSC0488-rawproc_curve

Took advantage of the lower tones of the purple flowers vice the higher tones of the yellow one to pull the purple ones down further, and push the yellow flower up a bit.

Edit: I’m too quick to post of late; regarding the image in the post I see Ireally bunched up the bright yellows. So I pulled down the right-hand control point a bit. The image posted above now reflects this correction…

7 Likes

@ggbutcher Beat me to this outcome. Back to the drawing board. :sleeping:

_DSC0488.NEF.xmp (7.2 KB)

10 Likes

_DSC0488.NEF.pp3 (12.9 KB)

Edit:
with rgb and perceptual tone curves

_DSC0488.NEF.pp3 (12.9 KB)

3 Likes

Ah, but even just different tools to the same end can be interesting, n’est ce pas? (BTW, that’s the extent of my French… )

Here is my take using PhotoFlow for raw processing and gmic for the rest.

1 PhotoFlow demosaicing (RCD), HL recovery (blend), lens corrections (all), colour space (Rec2020 linear), export (float).

2 gmic remove hot pixels, focus crop, blend (inverse soft light with bright flower from original), local contrast (first smooth areas then edges), brightness-contrast curves (in soft light domain), FFT sharpen.

3 Output for your viewing pleasure. Zoom and enjoy! Edit Gave the flowers more breathing room.

6 Likes

I like your crop and aspect ratio, gives a role to the ‘background’ flowers…

@ggbutcher Thanks! The crop is informed by a command I wrote called afre_focus, which crops based on detail. Of course, detail depends on the stage of processing and what the current tweaks are. Since it is super finicky, I don’t think it will be ready for sharing in a long time. When it works, it is great. In the entry above, I only needed to add some height to the crop.

I have also been working on a command that is a cross between local contrast and sharpening. This image happened to be perfect for it. @Carmelo_DrRaw, this might be a useful test image for you.

beautiful picture. I have not been able to avoid, do a selective desaturation.

_DSC0488.NEF.xmp (9.8 KB)

4 Likes

GIMP with darktable as the default raw editor.
_DSC0488.NEF.xmp (5.6 KB)

3 Likes