Ciecam in Rawtherapee
A few weeks ago, I was reading an article in the French Photographic press about RT, here are its main conclusions.
- performances and functionalities are equal to those of the top players on the market
- the “advanced tab” contains 3 products - « Wavelet levels », « Retinex », « Ciecam » - we didn’t find what they could be used for.
If, for « wavelet levels », an answer has been brought recently, in particular by updating the documentation on Rawpedia, as well as by the videos provided by @Andy_Astbury1
https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Wavelet_Levels, it is not the same for Ciecam.
I will develop in several points some information on « Ciecam and Rawtherapee »
- what it’s for ?
- what is it ?
- where is it located in the process and what is its role in colorimetry?
What it’s for ?
I will take 6 examples - of course not exhaustive - to answer this question :
- We are going to process a high dynamic range image with heavily underexposed areas . We will use Ciecam to modify the Source lighting
- Starting with an almost perfect white balance, we will use Ciecam to carry out a chromatic adaptation
- We will show the impact of the output device and its environment (using a holiday shot to be viewed on the family TV in the afternoon). https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/CIECAM02#Example_3_-_Observation_conditions
- We are going to process a high dynamic range image, using “Local adjustments” (full image), « Log encoding + Ciecam »
- We are going to make a “Dodge and burn” using using “Local adjustments”, Log Encoding and ciecam https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/CIECAM02#Example_5_.28Local_Tab.29_-_Dodge_and_Burn
- we will use an abstract profile in combination with Ciecam (under development)
- As an example, I am attaching a RAF file and a pp3
- for information, here are 2 links to help you understand the concepts
- always for information, this type of functionalities (at the conceptual level) can be found in : a) Darktable – Color calibration module, b) ART - channel mixer mode “RGB primaries”, c) Lightroom’s camera calibration tool
What is it ?
Where is it located in the process and what is its role in colorimetry?