CIECAM Colour Fest

Hi - I thought I’d share this novelty colour effect which I ended up with recently:-

It’s easy to do, just in RT. With CIECAM, the algorithm is set to Brightness and Colourfulness, Colourfulness is ramped up, Contrast is set to -100, the minimum.
Then in Shadows and Highlights, Local Contrast is ramped up somewhat.
Then finally in “basic” exposure at the top of the toolbox, lightness and contrast can be adjusted as necessary.

The camera jpeg looked like this :-

For occasional use only!

3 Likes

That is a camera JPEG? It looks much too contrasty and desaturated.

Funny you should say that, I’ve been thinking the camera jpegs are contrasty and brash for a while, but not worrying too much because RT sorts that out from the raw. I checked the camera settings (EOS 6D) and the picture style is set to Faithful and the space Adobe RGB. I sometimes have the wrong white balance set, knowing it doesn’t affect the raw data. Regarding the saturation, there is a problem, I now see. I downsized both pics to upload, using Paint (Windows). The small camera jpeg is indeed noticeably less sat. than the original. But the original processed one and the small version are the same. If I look at the properties of the camera jpeg, “colour representation” is “Uncalibrated”. So I suppose Paint is treating it as sRGB, not AdobeRGB, and that’s where the sat. is changing. Does that stack up? I have RT outputting RT_sRGB, so that’s why no difference with the processed ones I guess. Aside question - why is there an RT version of sRGB, is it the same?, I hope so. Anyway thanks for pointing out the issue.

It’s in the docs.