Cinestill 800T on a budget

I came across this tutorial to emulate Cinestill. The author emulates the halation in Photoshop, is it possible to do the whole process exclusively in Darktable? if so, how? I’d love to learn.

1 Like

Without reading the tutorial, my approach would be to replicate it in GIMP, which has tools more in common with Photoshop than Darktable.

1 Like

yep, agree with @Rick on the GIMP suggestion, there are many ways you could do it, but the most obvious to me looks like this:

1. Duplicate the layer
  2. Desaturate it
  3. Use Levels to crush everything to black expect the highlights you want the halation on
  4. Use Curves to really crush that to pure black and white
  5. Set it to screen
  6. Gaussian Blur to taste
  7. Use the channel mixer to change the colour by boosting Red in Red Channel and reducing green and blue in their respective channels. I like a slightly orange tinge.

When I do this in Resolve for video I do the blur in a linear colour space for a better result, but not sure if that’s possible in GIMP or not.

Anyway, here’s a before and after:

notice it on the pillars in the back right as well. Also, I actually had to manually paint black over the arrows on the ground as they were caught in the selection too and it looked a bit odd.

EDIT: as for getting your image looking filmy in the first place, I have another slightly peculiar workflow I use in darktable that’s something of a port of my Resolve workflow - but an easier way to get your feet wet would be to download the RawTherapee haldCLUT pack for the lut3D module in darktable.

1 Like

how to set it to screen

@Trung_46

Did it work?