Clarification on rendering intents...

So moving… on from this thread… and my subsequent response…

Here @RawConvert appears to be generating jpg files that are different based on rendering intent settings chosen using the websafe srbg as an output profile.

I could not reproduce this. No matter what I do I get the same files on export… which frankly is what I expected

I recall comments in the past from Aurelien stating that rendering intents didn’t work in DT and also it appears that my observations were inline with what @kofa found here

Colour management - intents.

It would seem and it was my understanding that DT was working about like this description of photoshop, ie presenting unsupported options for export…

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/matrix-profiles-perceptual.html

The interesting thing is the commentary from the earthbound topic stated that matrix profiles produce rendering with relative intent. The one deviation I was getting is that all my exports from DT are showing as being perceptual in the exif data which might contradict that assertion for which I am not sure what is correct…

So my question is how would @RawConvert get exports with rendering intent if indeed they are from the standard DT srgb profile. And second why are my exported files showing as perceptual in all cases??

I wonder what others using DT see. I know there can be other variables but I am just curious…

And as with the comments in the earthbound article …why are rendering intents offered for profiles or settings that don’t support it?? Should there not be a check??

Any thoughts or observations welcome…

If I read @RawConvert’s post right, for the perceptual intent image they’re using the special sRGB profile from the ICC website. That one has the lookup table for the perceptual rendering intent.

I think that’s a GUI thing. I think other (even commercial) image editing programs offer the intent selection even if the output profile doesn’t support those intents. I don’t believe there’s a specific reason for this other than lack of code that manages the intent choices dynamically based on selected profile. :person_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

@priort , these rendering issues have been around for a while, I’ve banged on about them previously. People are very interested in highlights which often don’t matter much to the image, but don’t seem much bothered by gamut issues. Here are a few threads

2.5 yrs old -

and you can also search “preference perceptual”.

You’ll see in that second thread it was @ggbutcher who put me on to the LUT ICC.

Edit: Ah I’ve linked into the threads part way thru…

Thanks that’s basically what that snippet from earthboundlight was saying…

@flannelhead and @RawConvert thanks for clarifying I suspected I was confusing something about what profile was used…Thx

Edit
Thanks both of you for the info and links…It was good to go back and read that… funny how you forget things I totally remembered both of those threads and I think at some point I downloaded that icc but never got around to trying it out… I made some notes this time so that when my aging brain forgets… I don’t have to make noise… :smile: