Clouds with trees: my 1st time lapse

Since I got entangle up and running on the mac here I thought I would try something I’ve always wanted to do. It’s a view of Mt. Hamilton with clouds going by and jiggly trees.

EF-50mm II
The ffmpeg command that creates timelapse from stills for youtube:

ffmpeg  -start_number 000001 -i ~/20190121194604/capture%06d.jpg -vcodec libx264 -s 1920x1080 -preset slow -crf 18 -pix_fmt yuv420p -r 16 ~/Desktop/timeclouds1.mkv

To view in HD watch on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwFFCwH_JOA

5 Likes

Next step is to try to smooth it. :wink:

I think a time lapse is choppy by definition. If you want smooth, you want a hyperlapse :stuck_out_tongue:

Remember this thread where a timelapse was smoothed?

I might be able to add 1 intraframe between exposures, but that comes at a bandwidth price. I was going for the basic illusion of cloud development, taking frames 4 s apart, exposing each for 1/250 s, and running them at 16 fps. A 1 intraframe addition would bring that up to 1/32, which is closer to standard video. Or I could skip any interpolation and take shots every 2 s.

Since we both share the same camera model: Why have you waited for entangle on the Mac when there has almost always been Magic Lantern’s intervalometer? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’ll have to give that a try one of these days. You see, the warnings about bricking thy camera with Magic Lantern have been taken close to heart, as the camera was a gift. One of the things I like about the T3i is that the interface was so simple, I was able to immediately shoot manual RAWs without opening the superfluous documentation. If I were to give the camera away, which might happen when I go overseas, I’d want it to be as a base Canon. If I decide to give my camera away, I might be gifted a better model. That’s just how our οικονομία works in my family.

Btw, Entangle isn’t really for mac; it’s a docker hack (kd6kxr/entangle has 51 pulls already). I didn’t wait for it to come out, it simply emerged out of curiosity when @Tobias announced the new 2.0 version. I also appreciate the general going about something innocuously unsupported and experimental.

I wonder if Magic Lanterning ones camera interferes with tethering.

2 Likes

I have had similar reservations about ML but took the plunge anyway because the features were irresistible. Especially, for a tinkerer and programmer like yourself, it is an opportunity you wouldn’t want to miss! :money_mouth_face::rofl:

1 Like

You’re right but seriously I’m giving away the camera overseas to someone less techie thank I. But when I acquire something newer I will need to give ML a shot.

You need to be mindful of its compatibility. The ML folks haven’t been able to crack the dual pixel tech; you would have to stick with the older models… Unless, you are willing to help; they seem to be in need of more devs and tinkerers. :wink:

The one I’m looking at is the 24MP T7i / 800D which ML says porting has been started, and there are a number of commits for 800D in the source code, so that looks promising.

The only thing ML alters inside the camera is a boot flag to boot from SD. This can be undone in the ML installer. With a “reset to firmware defaults” the camera should be in a pristine state afterwards and ready to ship overseas.

I’m running the vintage ML 2.3 on this model and nightly build from 2017 on my 6D (note to myself: update!). No major problems so far, but I can understand your hesitation. It was a shocking moment, when the display stayed black after installation on the 6D. :sweat: After seconds I gladly realized this was due to the factory reset I performed to prepare for the installation. The 6D won’t show anything on screen by default. :sweat_smile:

HTH,
Flössie

Recently, I encountered the blank screen while trying an experimental version. I died inside :ghost: then revived :seedling: when I resolved the issue. :partying_face:

I digress. Hope to see more time lapses from people!

Wikipedia begs to differ.

In any case, a hyperlapse is a subset of a timelapse. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Smoothed this second timelapse with gmic -fade_files capture*.jpg,4,0,-1,1,outputB.jpg

Video generated with ffmpeg -framerate 60 -i output_%06d.jpg -vcodec libx264 -s 1280x720 -preset slow -crf 5 -pix_fmt yuv420p -vf drawtext="font=Regular:fontsize=15:fontfile=$HOME/Library/Fonts/PxPlus_IBM_VGA8.ttf:timecode='00\:00\:00\:00':rate=60:text='T\:':fontsize=36:fontcolor='white':boxcolor=0x000000AA:box=1:x=90-text_w/2:y=0" ~/Desktop/timeclouds3c.mkv

Click to enjoy the 720p60 quality: https://youtu.be/wxdjtXqOtbA

BTW if you don’t know already, you click the little gear to access High Def video:
34%20AM

It’s not perfect, I converted from .cr2 with dcraw -h so there are many stuck pixels, and a few hiccups when I restarted the 100 shot batch; I didn’t realize my battery would last for three hours. Yes, I don’t have a ac/dc converter.

3 Likes

No more twitchy branches! :cactus:

The second timelapse was just preceded by a few moments of sunset colors. I used the following ffmpeg command to crossfade the two clips together:

ffmpeg -i ~/Desktop/timelapses/timeclouds2b.mkv -i ~/Desktop/timelapses/timeclouds3c.mkv -an -filter_complex "[0:v]trim=start=0:end=4,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS[firstclip];[1:v]trim=start=3:end=17,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS[secondclip];[0:v]trim=start=4:end=6,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS[fadeoutsrc]; [1:v]trim=start=0:end=3,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS[fadeinsrc]; [fadeinsrc]format=pix_fmts=yuva420p, fade=t=in:st=0:d=1:alpha=1[fadein]; [fadeoutsrc]format=pix_fmts=yuva420p, fade=t=out:st=0:d=1:alpha=1[fadeout];  [fadein]fifo[fadeinfifo]; [fadeout]fifo[fadeoutfifo]; [fadeoutfifo][fadeinfifo]overlay[crossfade]; [firstclip][crossfade][secondclip]concat=n=3[output]" -map "[output]" -crf 5 ~/Desktop/timelapses/timeclouds2b3c.mkv

Audio is from a rudimentary pure-data patch: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benitoite/pure-data_patches/master/gong2.pd

2 Likes

Was totally expecting a fax tone. :fax:

1 Like

It was 8 cosine oscillators.

Next time include some feline foley.

Here’s a little explanation of the crossfade command.
ffmpeg -i ~/video/clipA.mkv \
^-- first clip 6 seconds
-i ~/video/clipB.mkv -an -filter_complex \
^-- second clip 17 seconds long
"[0:v]trim=start=0:end=4,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS[firstclip];\
^-- clipA from 0s to (the end-2s)
[1:v]trim=start=3:end=17,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS[secondclip];\
^-- clibB from end of fadein to end of clip
[0:v]trim=start=4:end=6,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS[fadeoutsrc]; \
^-- clipA fade out part / last 2s
[1:v]trim=start=0:end=3,setpts=PTS-STARTPTS[fadeinsrc];\
^-- clibB fade in part 0s to 3s
[fadeinsrc]format=pix_fmts=yuva420p, fade=t=in:st=0:d=1:alpha=1[fadein];\
^-- generates the fadein
[fadeoutsrc]format=pix_fmts=yuva420p, fade=t=out:st=0:d=1:alpha=1[fadeout];\
^-- generates the fadeout
[fadein]fifo[fadeinfifo]; [fadeout]fifo[fadeoutfifo];\
^-- crossfade parts go thru buffers
[fadeoutfifo][fadeinfifo]overlay[crossfade];\
^-- The video is crossfaded
[firstclip][crossfade][secondclip]concat=n=3[output]" -map "[output]"\
^-- three video streams combined to the output
-crf 5 ~/video/AplusB.mkv
^-- the output

1 Like

Here is a longer one with some audio "tom"foolery. Translated, it is my cat’s way of saying “what is this microphone, give me more food.”

1 Like