Cloudy, hazy sunset

Not the best shot but can be an interesting edit, it’s HRD but not exposure bracketed (more like an astrophotography stack). My edit is maybe a bit dark & overcooked.

0V2A0987.CR3 (24.8 MB)
0V2A0987.DNG (23.4 MB)
0V2A0987.CR3.xmp (8.2 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing!

What about b/w and a pano crop ?

History in jpg.

6 Likes

cloudy.hazy.sunset.pp3 (26.5 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 Development.

Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

@Jade_NL how are you able to get these colors in RT Dev. I get a purple tinged image, even when loading your pp3.

The white balance is out of whack in that file (not sure if it’s a bug or a feature, happens with cr3’s that aren’t single exposures), you can pick up some of the clouds for a start.

Nice edits, I think the longer format works well since the foreground isn’t too interesting.

First thing that comes to mind: Which development version, there are many. At the moment I have 2 installed; 5.8-3051 which was used to create the above edit and 5.8-2995. I just double checked by downloading my sidecar from pixls and both versions show a correct edit when I apply it.

I did use the dng and not the cr3 as starting point. The cr3 is purplish to begin with and I did not want to spend the the time fixing that (if at all possible, this might be a support issue), as shown here:

On the right you see the dng with the applied sidecar I just dl-ed from pixls and applied.

@chaimav @Jade_NL
In RT 3009 windows:
In CR3, I have applied to the White Balance: Automatic → RGB Grey.
And I remove the purple color.

1 Like

@arturoisilvia :

Too be honest: I did not want to spend the time figuring out what would and wouldn’t work with this specific image. Now that you have told us that it is fixable and not a demosaicing related issue you could also use the channel mixer to tidy up this colour cast in the CR3 file: Remove a lot of red, a reasonable amount of blue, maybe add a bit of green (and fine-tune all channels).

Thanks for the idea, that’s another way to do it.

This. I used the cr3, and it seems I am not alone with the purple issue.

I am not overly thrilled with my edit, but I couldn’t seem to get it any better.

0V2A0987-1.jpg.out.pp3 (24.1 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks for posting
darktable 3.6.0

0V2A0987.DNG.xmp (12.7 KB)

2 Likes

On the contrary, I like the entire frame.

1 Like

My edit DNG

2 Likes

0V2A0987.DNG.xmp (9.5 KB)

1 Like

0V2A0987.jpg.out.pp3 (14.9 KB)
Uploading: 0V2A0987.jpg…
RT 5.8 IN THE NIGHT ASSEMBLY RT, THIS PHIL IS DISPLAYED IN RED. WHEN BALANCE ON GRAY IS APPLYED, THE PICTURE BECOMES NORMAL. VISUALLY ADJUSTED WHITE BALANCE.