Coffee, anyone else?

This picture is also in PlayRaw but this isn’t about post-processing.

I have a fascination for this old coffee grinder (a Peugeot, by the way)… unfortunately it is bolted in a rather uninteresting shelf, right against a door frame (on the left), and the shelf is held by a big wooden bracket.

I have always wondered how to frame it. This picture is my solution but it’s mostly drive by the technical constraints:

• If taken alone the grinder is too vertical, so I added the bottle (that was a bit farther on the shelf)
  • the angle bracket is made nearly invisible by shooting right on its edge.
  • I also had nasty reflections from a window in my back, which I eventually fixed using a translucent flash umbrella to act as a diffuser.

On the self-complacent side, I’m quite happy with the “shine” of grinder bowl, the cups and the bottle.

So,

• does it look staged?
  • does it look too dirty?
  • would you frame things differently?
3 Likes

I’d burn down the door frame or process it to appear as a natural wood color like the rest of the scene. As it is now, it is way too distracting.

But now the other white part is even more distracting :slight_smile:

I disagree. It pulls your eye more now, but the eye eventually wanders up to the coffee.

I like the colors and the textures. The image looks vibrant without oversaturation or oversharpening. It looks a little bit staged, but it’s still believable that this is just a kitchen corner somewhere.

To me the bottle reinforces the vertical even more. The reflection on the lid is rather harsh and distracting. Could be duller like the adjacent tins.

I don’t mind the frame. In fact, the burned version looks really bad. Perhaps it has to do with the quick unrefined brushwork.

Its a bit difficult because you do want to balance it but then its very narrow and tall. I tried it in a white frame just for kicks. Note you have to double click to open it as the frame blends into the webpage background.

2 Likes

It could help bring the attention to the written
crop

1 Like