Collection-filters : proposals

Hi all,

Following threads discussion around collection-filters improvements, discussion around new filters widgets and all other discussions around on github and other medias, we think it’s time to proceed to the next step and decide how all the collection - filters need to be improved.

First, we want to thank you for the constructive, calm and respectful tone of the previous thread.

If we want to summarize the global returns, we can list the following points :

1. New filters are not so bad afterall, even if some aspects needs improvements
  2. the 3 places uses to determine the images shown add confusions
  3. especially, the interaction between lateral filter module and topbar
  4. some widgets are unusable (date-time)
  5. some widgets need “cosmetic” improvements (range rating esp) for better readability.

After some hard thought, we propose the following :

1. remove date-time widgets from the filters : the size of the timeline is way too small to be useful. That said, the context-menu with all the calendar, relative dates, etc… may be something to keep in mind and reuse somehow in the future.
  2. rework css and icons (the reject one esp.) of the range-rating, in order to make them more readable (contrast, etc…)
  3. add an hamburger menu in the topbar. The popup menu associated will allow to :
    - add-remove-reorder topbar filters
    - reset the topbar filters altogether
    - manage topbar presets

Now let’s try the harder things :wink:

1. Remove the topbar filters from the left panel “filters” module. That means the topbar filters are now present and managed only from the topbar, avoiding therefore the confusion of the “mirrored (pinned) filters”

This changes will implies that “technically” topbar and left panel become completely independent, thought sharing the same code for the widgets and the filtering.

2. Collections and filters modules : Collections has filters that use really few space but it’s not obvious for all users how to use them, understand how to mix conditions, and setting values for some of them are not really convenient. On the other hand, new filters UI use lot of space and the date widgets are not really usable, probably finding a way to mix collections and new filters (with more visible and understandable conditions) would be the way to go.

We would see something like having actual collections to start with a condition then adding/remove new filters (probably something between collections filters and more visible way on new filters).

So we propose to work on finding a way to rework both collections modules and new filters one to an all-in-one but with more visible and easy to use filters than both actual ways. Finally something between both.

This would be a long-term goal of course.

That need quite some work, esp. on the interface, in order to ensure that we can have something better, without breaking workflows or features.

3. Next to that, this should help finding a better way to have presets (or sort of recent collections one) after with readable/nameable way.

About the calendar, we propose to implement points 1 2 3 “quickly” in order to ensure that they are integrated for 4.2. For point 4, this may need more discussions so not sure it can finish in time for Christmas. Of course point 5 is a long run goal, for 4.4 or 4.6…

We would like to have your feedback on this plans for improvements. Don’t hesitate to comment, react, or to propose alternatives… As said in introduction, constructive and peaceful messages will makes dt even better. That’s our unique goal :wink:

A more personal note to conclude : some may have spotted that I have way less free time for dt this (scholar) year: I’ve just started a new job associated with some certifications… So any help would be very appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks for your feedback !

3 Likes

I agree, that it’s important to differentiate between quick-changes for 4.2 and long run goals for later releases.

For 4.2 I think it would be good to make the range filters easy to use:

• reworking css and adding hamburger would definitely help
  • use numbers instead of star-icons only (see github 11757)
  • show (selected / total) range (see github 11887)

For 4.4+ it would be great to combine collections and filters:

• I like the idea to start with one condition, and then add filters (see github 10643)
  • And I think it would be great to quickly switch between graphical interface (click&drag) and a text-field entry (e.g. ‘focal length: >=50’). Right-click would be quite obvious, because you can also rightclick on sliders in darkroom to enter a text-value.

This seems like a reasonable plan, thanks @AlicVB

1 Like

@AlicVB
Thanks for your patience!

I am also all in for respectful communication.

One thing I am missing in your above list or I don’t extract that well…

As I said in the past, visibility is also a big thing for me, without staring but noticing it at a glimpse…

So like I made a mock-up on GH, pleeeeaaase make sure =2*, =3* or =4* will be visible clearly. Unlike today, where they all show just 1* at a slightly different position.

Thanks in advance.

For information, I’ve just done the PR which implement points 2-3-4 : filtering enhancements by AlicVB · Pull Request #12799 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

PR for point 1 will follow in the next days, thanks to @Nilvus !

Don’t hesitate to test and comment !

1 Like

just in time for the feature freeze, kudos.

Thanks @AlicVB for your work on this topic and for organizing discussions around it.

Before anything else, I would like to say I mostly like the collection filters, in particular the range rating filter :+1: (way quicker than the old one: just one click or click & drag vs click/move/click/move/click to change number of stars and operator) and the possibility to keep filters while changing/resetting collection :+1:
I know it have been a tense topic at times(!), so I’d rather start on a positive note :slight_smile:

Now, about the proposals: I don’t understand the reasoning between

and

Right now, there are 2 ways to filter images. One way being in 2 places. So 3 places.
With this change, it would means 3 ways to filter images and still 3 places.
Personnally, I think it would add confusion!

If something ‘have to’ be simplified/reduce, I think I would rather go with:

• keeping filters in top bar (with hamburger menu, preset, combine operators setting…)
  • removing filters in the side panel

Obviously, that would imply keeping some complex filtering for the collect module (because of space limitation in top bar).
But it probably comes down to the question: what do we (want to) filter in the collect module vs collection filters module (regardless of the difference in GUI, as it could be unified in a long term goal)?

To clarify: I don’t say it would be better than the current implementation (maybe, I don’t know, I haven’t thought enough about it :smile:). Just that I find it better than having 3 separates ways.

About that, you answer it (and it explains at the beginning of this thread) at the end of your comment: it’s a long term goal.