Colletcions in darktable using "or"

I try to use the “or” logic for a collection. But the result is different than expected
I’m not sure if I understand the logic correctly…
Lets say I have the following

In total: 2905 Pics

1. Filter: folder “something” gets me down to 254 Pics
    “and”
  2. Filter: tag “something”, down to 66 Pics
    “and”
  3. Filter: History “not altered”, 10 Pics
    “or”
  4. Filter: History “altered”

I expected to come back to 66 pics.
Instead I have now 5454 Pics in the collection

Shouldn’t the last filter based on the result from the above filter?

If you’re starting with 2905 pics it definitely seems a bit odd that you end up with 5454 after filtering them. If you just have a single collection only containing the results of (4), how many do you get? Don’t forget if you have an OR at the end, you’re adding back in all images that have history altered, which might include some you’ve previously excluded in (1) and (2).

Which dt version?

BTW: while your filter is a bit pointless it’s interesting benchmark for collections module. By logic it seems you’re right.

Some weeks ago I struggled with a similar problem :

A AND B AND C AND D OR E

created a huge selection because OR E refers to all images available. What I wanted to do was to create a filter

A AND B AND C AND (D OR E)

but as far as I can see it is not possible to use brackets (or am I missing something). As far as I remember I moved the logical connection OR on top of the sequence :

D OR E AND A AND B AND C

1 Like

Try A AND B AND C AND D OR A AND B AND C AND E, this should work.

1 Like

My pointless example works that way. Thanks !

Actually I wanted to do something different.
I was a bit lazy with deleting not needed, unused, pictures.
It’s easy to collect them by using history not altered.

But then I have a bunch of jpgs which I cropped without any further editing. I don’t want to delete the associated RAWS. (For a long time I took both, Raw & jpg)

But with the easy collection of “history- not altered” I would delete them also…
I thought I could exclude them using a different collection, but I guess that it’s not that easily done…

You can distinguish between raw and jpg by using filename as an additional criterion of your selection. Use %.jpg and %.raw for this purpose.

1 Like