Color assessment (white border): lots of unused space

Hi all,

I am using dt v. 4.6.1 on a mac (intel), and when I toggle the color assessment (white border) in the darkroom, the image is quite small, leaving a lot of unused space (see attached screenshot). Is there a way to make the image fill the available space?

thanks in advance for any suggestion

Its sort of like that by design so that you have white and middle grey reference borders and zoomed out images are easier to assess exposure overall… Aurelien walks through using this in an older video when he introduced it… so in your example you are under exposed and would bring things up until your white siding was close to white and or to set middle grey…It gets a little bigger frame on my PC if you scroll to zoom in… otherwise I think its fixed…

You can change the gray border size in preferences. You can then change the white border ratio in darktablerc.

As @priort says, this is for assessment of colours and overall contrast/brightness so is designed to give you large areas of grey/white as reference. You can change it if you want, but IMO this is a reasonable size and I don’t use it for the whole time while editing.

Hi @g-man ,

thank you, but the gray border size in reference seems to control the gray border size when the white border is not selected.

Thank you for your reply. I understand the reasoning behind having both the gray and the white border. It is just that in my case (and it wasn’t this way before) the gray surroundings are just too big (see the screenshot attached in my previous mail).

The border ratio settings are in the config file… Did you tweak these…

Basically in this mode you really aren’t expected to see much in the image at all but the global tone and there was a fair bit of discussion but the nice broad bands for grey and white as I said with the zoomed out image let you dial that in…

You could likely also achieve something more to your liking using the framing module or maybe not but it might be an option

1 Like

That’s a lot of padding in both the white and grey.

I didn’t change the values; my configuration file is:

~ ❯ grep iso12 ~/.config/darktable/darktablerc
darkroom/ui/iso12464_border=4.000000
darkroom/ui/iso12464_ratio=0.400000

And my screen (2560 Ă— 1440) on Linux (specifically Fedora 40, GNOME) looks like this:

I wonder if it’s related to your resolution… or possibly being on a Mac?

It looks like your screen is 1380 × 862 (according to the screenshot). In your screenshot and mine, our headers (with the logo) look to be the same size, so I think that’s your 1:1 resolution (unless you have some titlebars or taskbars or something like that… but it wouldn’t account for much).

In other words, I think this is probably a bug (due to us getting wildly different results with defaults) and should be filed. Meanwhile, hopefully it can be worked around by editing the sizes.

1 Like

Those are the defaults and the width of your side panels can impact it as well

On my screen with normal HD monitor 1920 by 1080

Tweaked to here I get…

And with defaults same as yours I get…

Shrinking the side panels will expand the left and right grey border…

1 Like

Hello, it may have in fact to do with the resolution. The screen resolution is 2560 x 1600 and the iso12464 border size and ratio in darktablerc are set at their default values (4 and 0.4, respectively).

The interesting thing is that when I connect the laptop to an external monitor, which has a lower resolution, the paddings (both white and grey) shrink to much more reasonable sizes.

… furthermore, if I change the iso12464_ratio, this only changes the size of the white border, not the size of the surrounding gray padding.

Yes so change the one above it… that is the global size for both then the ratio specifies how much of that will be white…Try a very small value for the border…

A really easy solution is to use the framing module. Maybe the default will work fine or just make a preset. This option is just as easy to use as the intended color assessment mode and no need to fiddle with the code.

@priort ,thank you very much, that worked! It seems, however, that the border thickness changes quite a bit when I switch from the laptop monitor to an external one. Shouldn’t these settings be approximately (if not exactly) independent of screen resolution?

1 Like