color correction for 40 year old Agfa tranparency

I have some 40 year old Agfa 2 1/4 that is faded. I’m new to processing. What is the best place to start? What tool is best for this (automatic or manual)? All the photos seem to bee faded in the same way so if I could come up with a formula I assume I could make a preset. Perhaps this has already been done by someone and all I need is their settings.

It is not RawTherapee command, however equalize command in GIMP is very effective for restoration of faded film images.

There are some restoration sample images in following thread.

I do a lot of my photo restoration work in GIMP. Auto levels can sometimes work miracles on faded colors. The equalize command works in a similar fashion. Maybe you could put an image in the PlayRaw category and people could try different softwares and techniques to get the result you like.

I suggest you give it a try:
It also works properly in Windows 11

Readme

STANDALONE WINDOWS APP FOR RESTORING FADED SLIDES AND PRINTS

NOTE - This is an experimental (alpha) release that has been tested only on Windows 7, so far.

Your experience may vary. Please report issues.

The instructions for running the program are:

• Make a new working folder anywhere on your computer.
  • Copy (not move) into it some of the faded pictures you want to restore.
  • In the working folder, make a subfolder named ’restored’ (without the ’ ’ quotes) to contain the results.
  • Download the file restore4.0A.exe from GitHub.
  • Copy it into the working directory.
  • Double click on the program restore4.0A.exe.
  • Put the kettle on - the calculation is very slow but the results should appear in the ’restored’ directory.
    It has been tested on Windows 7; I have no idea if it will work in Windows 10.

When viewing the resulting images using the default Windows image viewer, they appear dark and saturated. This appears to be caused by the Windows image viewer not the restoration software. They images look all right with other viewing software.

I tried his restoration programs and they are not bad. Also he made GIMP plugin version of his programs and their algorithm are different each other.

However, for restoration of very faded film images, I believe equalize command of GIMP is most powerful tool.

I recommended it because he wrote:
“I’m new to processing.”