Color masking in GIMP

Greetings:

I was wondering if there is a way in GIMP to create a color mask using RGB values instead of the Select by Color tool?

Thanks for the input.

Jason

I can not work out anyway to do an rgb selection in GIMP. Playing with the select by color tool and adjusting the threshold values is the closest method I could come up with. However, in darktable you can create parametric masks based on many values including hue or color. The best masking system I have come across.

Why do you need a mask based upon color? I ask this to fully understand the problem and how it may be resolved.

Hi Terry:

Thanks for getting back to me. Iā€™m a graphic designer. In my work, I blend images into solid color backgrounds. I have used Corel Photopaint for years. The color masking feature allow me to quickly select a blended image using RGB. In GIMP I use the eyedropper to identify the pixel color, set a vertical and horizontal guide to mark that pixels location, and then use the Select by Color tool to click in that precise location to get the mask I need. The methodology works fine, but its just slower than the RGB method in Corel.

The reason I started to familiarize with GIMP is because it is a robust, free program. The people who view my artwork need a photo manipulation program to decipher my work. If they do not have such a program I recommend they use GIMP. I include instructions with my pieces based on using GIMP. It just takes a little longer to instruct a user how to create the needed mask if no RGB select method is available. I just wanted to keep it as simple as possible.

No worries. I just thought I might have overlooked an RGB selection methodology in GIMP. You can more fully understand my use of masks in you visit my website at www.trithemian.com.

Thanks again for your input.

Jason

Hi @tigerstime, and welcome!

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Try the ofn-color-select script.

Installation instructions at the bottom of the linked page. HTML doc in the ZIP.

Bytes are still wet, so use with care.

1 Like