Color problem when exporting .xcf --> .jpg (image viewer)

Hello everyone,

As I said in the title, I don’t know how to get around the problems of the Windows 11 native image viewer not respecting colors when I look at my .xcf exported in .jpg.

The problem comes from the image viewer (in my case the native viewer of Windows 11) and indeed, if I view the image with Picasa I don’t have the problem.

What bothers me is that I’m going to send this image to my client and if he opens the image with the native viewer of windows 11, the image will be very different in color. And it’s much less beautiful.
I’ve attached an example below, but I realize that the difference isn’t very marked once uploaded. Still, on the left it’s a bit yellow/orange, while on the right it’s more orange-brown.

Do you have any tips on how to prevent this from happening? I was thinking of exporting as a pdf, but if you have any other ideas, I’d love to hear them.

Thanks a lot!

Capture d'écran 2024-02-14 232213

There are many previous posts about similar problems. I am not an expert and defer to the more informed opinions people will provide here. However, this sounds like a color management issue meaning that your various programs for viewing will display the same image differently. The interesting challenge is that if you fix the problem at your end you have no way of knowing what it will look like at their end. This is the problem of sharing images on the internet or between people. I doubt there is an answer, but if you have exported an sRGB websafe JPG from GIMP then you may have done all you can. Other may have more informative answers.

Once, Microsoft bundled “Windows photo viewer” with Windows that supports color management. However, currently They are attaching new “Photos” application that does not support color management. In terms of color management, I think Windows 11 is degenerative. So I would like to strongly recommend to use classic “Windows Photo Viewer” instead of “Photos”.

The following article describes how to use classic Windows Photo Viewer with Windows 11.