Color profiles DCP

Hi,
Is it possible to add color profiles (DCP) in Darktable? For example, Canon or Panasonic.

1 Like

No it’s ICC based … ART and RT can use them

I understand. Could someone advise me from where to download ICC profiles and how to install to Darktable? I don’t hide the fact that the biggest challenge in DT is setting the right color scheme. I also edit photos in RT and there DCP profiles actually take care of the problem.

1 Like

Its covered in the manual :slight_smile:

It may not be a magic fix. Once you have icc files for your camera they may or may not play nice with DT… copy them to a folder called \color\input in your config folder… you might have to create this folder . After that you should see them in DT… you will need to restart to see them if DT is open when you do this…

Are your camera’s and monitor calibrated??

1 Like

Thank you for your answers. Is there any site available from where I could download ready-made ICC profiles for Darktable?

Darktable ships with built-in profiles for supported cameras. If you need support for a new camera, add the required files to Raw Samples Wanted, and raise a darktable feature request.

You can find some ICC profiles made by @ggbutcher here:

1 Like

thats not the way to get custom icc profiles for cameras. If you want to have a custom icc profile then you must do it yourself - but those are just valid for the illumination the samples were taken.
That doesn’t make sense for a generic usage - except your camera or the camera used to generate the raw support was defect and far off the standard sensor characteristics of the camera model…
but if you wantbto have a custom icc profile see: DCamProf

2 Likes

I’m a layman in these matters and thought that ICC profiles are equivalent to DCP. Thanks for your help

If you work in a studio, or don’t mind repeating the procedure, you can take a shot of a color checker and use color calibration to create an optimised calibration of each shooting session.

https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/en/module-reference/processing-modules/color-calibration/#extracting-settings-using-a-color-checker

But I suggest that before going either of those routes (color checker or custom profile), you make sure that the gain in accuracy is worth the hassle.

And for certain subject types, using the color checker is difficult (try putting a color checker next to a heron… wear safety glasses just in case)

2 Likes

Target shot profiles will do, but there’s a lot more flexibility using a cameras measured spectral data:

• make a profile for any illuminant from that single dataset
  • make a purpose-specific profile with training data for a specific domain, e.g., skin tones.
  • make LUT profiles rather than simple matrix profiles for better handling of extreme hues

The site @kofa pointed to has that data for some cameras, and I have some others that I couldn’t determine a license for publishing.

DCP and ICC camera profiles do the same fundamental job, but with different workflows. I’d describe it, but I’m scratching this out on my cellphone, very tedious. When I can get to my computer…

3 Likes

If you care to explore more this is a pretty good site to poke around…

As for your current issue… the latter part of this section…

And really much of the site… if you ever want to deep dive on understanding and creating profiles…certainly for DT understanding all the colorspaces and profile nuances can be helpful…

Thank you all for your involvement. Greetings and best wishes for great photos :slight_smile:

This :arrow_heading_up: The big thing about DCPs is that they can be dual illuminant which means you can make a very good profile that works for pretty much all types of lighting by just shooting a picture at 6500K and one at 2850K.

ICC profiles suck pretty bad for profiling cameras if you’re not a studio photographer that is always in control of your lighting. DCP support in darktable is an old wet dream of mine. :smile:

1 Like

Okay, at my computer…

ICC profiles essentially contain a color matrix to facilitate the first color transform. DCP profiles contain that, and a bunch of other stuff that facilitate an Adobe-centric raw workflow. Description of that workflow is provided by Anders Torger with the dcamprof software:

https://rawtherapee.com/mirror/dcamprof/camera-profiling.html#dng_profiles

Elle Stone is extremely knowledgeable and writes stuff in a clearly understandable. Thoroughly recommended!