Color Toning - Nothing happens?

Color Toning-Color correction Regions

@paperdigits asked you what software you use to process your photos like Rawtherapee or darktable?

We need to know so we can help you. I assume you mean Rawtherapee.

Is this the module?:

CC2

Yes, that’s the module in Raw Therapee

I just figured it out! I am really stupid. LOL!

I asume, you didn’t activate it first? :grin:
I don’t like that on Rawterapee. Inactive modules should be grayed out.

2 Likes

Just something that I need to remember to do. Thanks

2 Likes

If you don’t like it, upvote or comment on the issue at Github.

Sure, but FOSS is not democracy. You need to convince us :wink:

5 Likes

Hi. I’m having trouble using the color toning part. I’m am trying to fix the sky only in some photos, but don’t seem to be able to get the cursor to select only that part. I’m using 5.8.
Thanks!
mark

Mark, have you seen these videos by Andy Astbury?

@compajazz

You specifically mention Colour Toning and I do believe that stuntflyer’s reply covers that part.

I do like to mention this though: At times it is rather hard to create a good mask using the Colour Toning tools. If that is the case you might want to switch to the Local Adjustments tab. The control you have to really fine tune a mask are better and more versatile in my opinion. If you would use it in combination with its Color & Light tool you have a rather similar “module” compared to Colour Toning. But you can do so much more with the other tools present as well.

If you are interested do have a look at @Andy_Astbury1 other videos, he has 3 that deal with the Local Adjustment module.

BTW: This is not shown/mentioned in the Andy’s Colour Toning videos and maybe obvious, but: You can combine Hue, Chroma and Lightness to fine-tune a mask.

Hi Mike
Thanks so much for responding.
I have watched all 3 videos and still haven’t figured out how to select a certain section of a photo.
Any other ideas.
THANKS
mark

@compajazz

It isn’t clear what you did (or didn’t) try to accomplish what it is you want to achieve.

Once you open one of the masking options (H[ue], C[hroma] or L[uminosity] you can use the picker to search/set what you want/need.

2021-07-03_18-21

You can set a point by ctrl-left-mouse-click:

2021-07-03_18-39

Here’s a really quick, exaggerated example:

You see me searching the sky for the darkest and lightest blue in the sky. This way you can set a lower and upper bound. You do need to combine this with one or both of the other two in some cases to get a good result.

3 Likes

Thank you @Jade_NL, I was struggling to understand the color correction options, your answer above was super useful.

Do the masks created in this section apply to other color toning methods like “Saturation 2 colors”, “Color balance S/M/H” etc? I think not, but I may be wrong.

Nope, they do not. The masks are a part of the Colour correction regions method.

Just in case (this and how isn’t mentioned in the docs for as far as I can tell):

• You can create multiple, individual masks.
    • + Add another instance,
    • - Delete selected instance,
    • :arrow_up: :arrow_down: move the selected instance up/down in the list,
    • :arrow_right: make an identical copy of the selected mask.

BTW: If you want/need more flexibility you should also have a look at the Local Adjustments tab. The Settings section can be used to create very precise masks and these can be used in combination with a bunch of tools that are available via the add tool to current spot section. There are also advanced masking option available if needed.

@Jade_NL - thanks for the clarification.

I had guessed the mask management that you stated. Though I had not realized that the mask order would have an impact on processing :slightly_smiling_face:

yes, I did try the Local Adjustments after I saw some very nice edits in playraw. Its bewitching…

You’re right it isn’t mentioned in the English docs. There’s however a much better explanation of this part of the tool in the Spanish documentation.

If you really need to know how this tool work, then you can try translating it from Spanish…

HTH

2 Likes

@XavAL

Thanks for that info!

I’ll have a look and see if there’s anything that I haven’t figured out already. Don’t speak any Spanish myself, but I’m sure DeepL can help me out here (curious about its handling of the technical specific bits though).

You’re welcome :blush:

I’ve given it a try and the way the doc is written, I would say it will be correctly translated in 98-99% of cases. There will be some concepts like “toning” that sometimes are not correctly translated (like when it’s translated as “shift”), but it could be understood by context

I just let DeepL translate the text and read it (Thanks for the shift heads-up). The English RawPedia version should have that text included, be it translated by DeepL and roughly corrected.

Most of it I already figured out, but the text does explain why some of the things actually happen the way they do. Good to know.

I did learn something new though: The Virajes por canales ( :wink: ) part. I don’t use the individual channels often (hardly ever and only the blue channel). I now know why I have success using the blue channel (as in: does what I expect) and not with the other two.

1 Like