Colour label in XMP

Perhaps I miss a setting, but dt seems to colour labels in its own tag in XMP that isn’t recognised by other programs

dt:
darktable:colorlabels
rdf:Seq
rdf:li2</rdf:li>
</rdf:Seq>
</darktable:colorlabels>

others:
xmp:Label=“Green”

If I set a colour label in dt, eg. XNView can’t see it. If I set it in XNView, dt detects the label. Would it be possible for dt to write it also to the standard position?

Regards,
Lümmel

There isn’t a standard place, as color label is not a standard tag, so darktable writes it to its own namespaced tag.

It shouldn’t be too hard to write a script that writes the tag to other XML name spaces.

Obviously the “non standard” xmp:Label is more standardised than the one that dt writes, thus it is recognised by dt and others, e.g. XNView. Of course one could write a script, unfortunately not me. See it as suggestion. For exchangeability it would be fine if dt would write in xmp:Label, too.

Please check your facts before writing on the Internets. xmp:Label is inherently broken as the color name in there is not only translated by default in Lightroom, the user can even change it to arbitrary strings. So yes, dt can put some color name in there, but that’s just trying your luck.

And, IIRC, you can only use one colour label per picture in lightroom, whereas you can have any combination in darktable. I am using this feature a lot, and therefore ask to not cripple it. E.g.:

• red: image to be worked on
  • yellow: image already got some attention, but processing not finished
  • green: image ready to be published
  • red and green: image ready in darktable, additional processing in external application (gimp) required
  • yellow and green: image ready in darktable, additional processing in external application finished
1 Like

I, too, use combinations of colour labels … precisely because of their flexibility.
I suppose one could do something similar with tags, but the hotkey setting of colour labels is so much more handy :slight_smile:

I would be all over a setup that used color-coded tags. With just colors, there’s always that “now, what did I mean by that color again?” moment.