Colour management understanding or lack of

RT app image on Manjaro KDE.

I have calibrated 1 of my screen. I have set RT/colour management to point to the /etc/xdg/color/icc/devices/display/ . I have my asus profile there.

1. Do I need to even set the color profile in RT since KDE is already managing the “color corrections” from the profile?
  2. I use WHCC for printing and I have 6 profiles. How do I set the soft-proofing/printer? Do I have to move them to the etc/xdg/color/icc/devices/display/ ?

Thanks

Yes, I believe you need to for each app you use. I don’t think there is a universal management tool that handles everything that happens in your desktop environment.

Hover over this for tool tips and also check the preferences.

It may search certain system directories for profiles but if they don’t show up then look into placing your profiles into RT’s own directories or adding your directories to where it searches.

KDE has color-kde that does the colour management and I can see the difference when I have it enabled or disabled, which is why I asked.

This means that I will have to add the printers/paper profiles to the display directory.

Thanks

Merry Xmas & Happy New Year

Same to you and yours!

There will be a difference but RT needs to be set to for the management to reach all the way. I am being vague because I don’t use RT regularly. For me, it is more like set it and forget it. I am sure the others can elaborate or prove us wrong!

I think the Rawpedia Preferences documentation is pretty self-explanatory.

In my Linux Mint system there’s no difference between using the system wide color profile, or hand picking that same profile from the folder it is located in (as expected). I only have one monitor.

If you want to publish your images on the web, maybe is interesting reading this post about browsers and color management.

On the other hand, for printing purposes it’s better a good custom profile that takes advantage of all the capabilities of your display plus the appropriate printer profile