Colourful night shot with reflections

A night shot full of bokeh, rain reflections and bright colours!

Another very challenging edit.

Processed with experimental raw converter 3300K and saturation 1.3x

5D3_0004 (1).CR2 (25.2 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

9 Likes

DT 3.6.1

5D3_0004 (1).CR2.xmp (8.8 KB)

ART

5D3_0004 (1).jpg.out.arp (11.7 KB)

2 Likes

RT 5.8 + Gimp 2.10.22

1 Like

From another point of view, to vary a little
RT 5.8-dev. Editing with local adjustments.

20211014_5D3_0004 (1).jpg.out.pp3 (21.8 KB)

Regards.

colourful.rainy.night.pp3 (14.3 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 Development

Kept it darker to emphasize the warmth of the colourful lights and its reflections and keep the overall atmosphere/mood. Increasing the lightness/exposure makes it easily too harsh/cold in my opinion. Mood vs reality…

5 Likes

thanks for posting
darktable 3.6.1

5D3_0004 (1)_02.CR2.xmp (12.9 KB)

2 Likes

Lots of HSV fiddling trying to harmonize the colors. That was fun, thanks.

RT5.8 dev

5D3_0004 (1).jpg.out.pp3 (17.2 KB)

1 Like

GIMP 2.10.28
5D3_0004 (1)-GIMP-python-fu-DaveHillEfectQT_Strong-Jamac
5D3_0004 (1)-GIMP-script-fu_Hillustrative
5D3_0004 (1)-GIMP-script-fu_Lasm`s LAB Color Punch

Thank you for the nice picture @ilia3101!
Here is my version with darktable.
A lot of colors going on, I wasn’t sure how to make them work together in a pleasing way.

5D3_0004 (1).CR2.xmp (8.3 KB)

2 Likes

ART

less exaggerated with minimum processing

Mm this is my favourite. Love the use of bloom. And the grain.

Did you use any local stuff like highlights/shadows or clarity type effects? I’m lost in the darktable interface so I can’t tell by myself :sweat_smile:

I didn’t use any module with local algorithms. I tend to stick to only global changes as much as possible. Most of the times, clarity/local contrast looks too artificial to my eyes.
I dialed in the contrast with filmic and fine tuned with a tone curve. Then some color editing using color balance rgb and color zones.

Actually the little amount of bloom might be considered a local module, but wasn’t used to change the contrast.

I am quite curious about your experimental raw developer. I followed your play raw entries and love the way it manages the highlight and crushes the clipped regions. Also the colors are consistently pleasing. Do you use luts?

didn’t use any module with local algorithms. I tend to stick to only global changes as much as possible. Most of the times, clarity/local contrast looks too artificial to my eyes.

It’s hard to use that stuff naturally. But all the new smartphones (iPhone, pixel, Samsung) have so much local processing and it can look natural (consdiering how strong it is), so I think better algorithms are possible.

Actually the little amount of bloom might be considered a local module

It’s simulating a physical effect, so it’s quite natural (in my opinion).

I am quite curious about your experimental raw developer. I followed your play raw entries and love the way it manages the highlight and crushes the clipped regions. Also the colors are consistently pleasing. Do you use luts?

The whole thing is based on compressing lighter values using a curve (lowering saturation using Jzazbz and reducing brightness with linear exposure). I’m using variations of the reinhard curve.

It’s quite similar to darktable’s filmic I think.

Inspired by your edit, made it warmer/less saturated, and then brighter.

There’s still so many issues. Good colour is impossibly difficult. The reds have gone too pale here (maybe everything has).

1 Like

My take. dt 3.7.0.
But really, your program seems promising…

5D3_0004 (1).CR2.xmp (11.7 KB)

Photoflow + OpenDRT:

Very simple processing in Photoflow - just white balance (area reading off the streetlamp at the top centre - comes out close to 3300K), then scene referred data converted for display using a look transform + OpenDRT (which I have baked into an ICC profile).

If you are writing image processing software, OpenDRT is well worth investigating.

Useful links:

Open display transform on github.

The output transforms working group on ACES Central

Chris Brejon on output transforms and what is wrong with current ones. Warning! Once you have learned to spot the notorious six, you can never unsee it.

3 Likes

5D3_0004 (1).jpg.out.pp3 (11,3 KB)

:wink: would have focused the shops on the right side

2 Likes

I see a few of the notorious six in that image! Definitely some yellow and cyan skews.

I think what I’m working on is basically an alternative to OpenDRT.

Chris Brejon on output transforms and what is wrong with current ones . Warning! Once you have learned to spot the notorious six, you can never unsee it.

Troy Sobotka shared this on twitter a few days ago. It’s an incredibly good piece of writing, taught me so much about the current state of colour transforms.

Tried to match the look of your edit:

3300K + purple tint and saturation 1.1

2 Likes

Thanks for the links! Very interesting indeed

5D3_0004 (1).CR2.xmp (14.4 KB)

3 Likes

5D3_0004 (1).pfi (40.1 KB)

3 Likes