Common Color Curves (Portra, Provia, Velvia)

Hi all!

I was fiddling with a new monitor this morning and getting @Morgan_Hardwood to help me get things set up (ty again), and while I was testing things I realized that I had never really put my most commonly used color curves out there for folks to use in RT.

So I took a few minutes this morning and translated the curve parameters from my usual GIMP curves, into a curves-only .pp3 for everyone.

Portra-Curves.pp3 (332 Bytes)
Velvia-Curves.pp3 (358 Bytes)
Provia-Curves.pp3 (296 Bytes)

These profiles will only modify the Tone Curve, and the R,G, and B curves. So all of your other settings will stay intact and wonā€™t be modified (so these can be applied at any stage in your processing. (If you want to undo these changes, simply revert the RGB + Tone curves back to linear).

Of course, visual examples are all the rage these days, soā€¦

![|690x690](upload://o1iR5EozjLe5oHUa2OOxID9VXtS.jpeg) Base ![|690x690](upload://vXzQmX3bKYU9dZSo3doepsKiJzk.jpg) Portra-esque ![|690x690](upload://zhfp37Nbdm0eg6xa1hyS1Aft8Rd.jpeg) Provia-esque ![|690x690](upload://lwwo2jRROAO4KkiBEurO9i00TIq.jpg) Velvia-esque

And for a shot at least with a little more environment in it, from the LGM photowalk:

![|690x516](upload://mVjgjR1e2L25lH3Uq4OeVvclZbZ.jpg) Base ![|690x516](upload://7oTvodai8Is0ZCzNLqFWWRWvq6r.jpeg) Portra-esque ![|690x516](upload://x59jwSnQd87JIcGYG26AM2dHMVT.jpg) Provia-esque ![|690x516](upload://kHAnrgPWDsdl8vpFEHe6v80o7sJ.jpg) Velvia-esque
6 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

My gut is to collect these into a git repo; does the RT community collect these in any specific way?

2 Likes

18 posts were split to a new topic: Color Management and Targeting Outputs

http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/How_to/100_Curves_and_Films/_Curves_and_films.html

Yep. itā€™s no secret that Petteri Sulonen is where these came from. He only had versions for GIMP/digikam though. I went ahead and translated them into something usable in RT.

2 Likes

love the velvia on portrait, thank you for sharing

1 Like

Iā€™m a sucker for the portra-esque myself ;). I think I did use Velvia for one image recently:

Imgur

1 Like

Now we have a git repository to collect all these lovely profiles in, @Morgan_Hardwood

@patdavid I think we should explicitly assign either the Apache or MIT license to these.

2 Likes

I see no compelling reason to licence the things so far in that folder under Apache, MIT, GPL, CC-* or anything.

1. How would any of those licences even apply to a curve?
  2. Is a user seriously expected to ship a copy of a licence or whatever when they want to share a PP3 which uses a curve or a derivative of a curve from there?
  3. And abide by the licence if they move a point of the curve?
  4. Is shipping a copy of the licence supposed to apply when showing photos processed using a PP3 or a derivative of a PP3 from there? Who among us is to judge?
  5. When the PP3s in that folder increase in number and complexity, where is the threshold between a simple its-unrealistic-to-put-a-licence-on-this PP3 and a complex one, who is to draw the distinction?

etc.

Public domain sounds about right.

A simple ā€œIn the spirit of freedom, the contents of this folder fall into the public domain. A word of recognition, a link, a thank you, would make their respective authors glad if you use them.ā€ would suffice.

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you for setting this up!

I agree. Also, if thereā€™s a request for recognition, it should be directed to Petteri Sulonen.

Alright I can agree about the (non) license.

Are there any other pp3 anywhere I can add? Iā€™ll also take pull requests. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the curves!

2 Likes

Has anybody made a usable RawTherapee pp3 for Fujifilm 400H ? Iā€™ve been wrestling with it for ages now. Love Pat Davidā€™s cluts but really want to wrap my mind around what makes this preset tick.

I donā€™t know of anyone that has but I could probably take a look when I clear a little time from my schedule. Did you want one that replicated whatā€™s available as a CLUT already?

1 Like

@patdavid Yeah I love the cluts that you made :slight_smile: I was attempting to replicate them in rawtherapee and canā€™t seem to get them right. I love how it gives the skin tones a more goldeny feel and ā€¦well many other things. Thanks a lot for your time!

1 Like

So hereā€™s my work so far in attempting to copy the look of the Fujifilm 400H LUT as it comes with RawTherapee.

Apart from falling short of duplicating it, Iā€™m also getting quite the different effect from the LUT than from the PP3. Hereā€™s the samples.

PP3: FuhiFilm400H-Y-1-DES-6-iii.png.out.pp3 (8.6 KB)
Fujifilm 400H LUT (Rawtherapee):

My attempt PP3:
My attempt LUT:

Now Iā€™m running RawTherapee 4.2.0, in Debian Stable. I wonder if it has some bug in it that causes the discrepancy between the pp3 and the LUT. Is there some compiled version of a newer version that will run on the Stable ?

Thanks a lot guys/gals, for your time and help :slight_smile:

Upgrade to a newer build!

I would but my debian stable is being a pain. :frowning:

donā€™t mean to be a pest; just wondering if thereā€™s any leads on how the clut does the fujifilm 400H look :stuck_out_tongue: sorry for the bother and thanks in advance if yes