Community Growth, Inkscape, Video and More...

Those aren’t open-source? Then I stand corrected.

I’ll take this opportunity to say why I like open-source software: it opens up ideas to everyone. We can build on the work of each other. We can see inside the “machines” that others have built, and see exactly how they work, and incorporate the principles or even (licence permitting) the actual code in our own work.

In this way, we can all contribute rather than being mere consumers. This builds a community of everyone, rather than a small pool of developers being fed by a large pool of users.

And it stops the giants (Microsoft, Adobe, etc) from becoming too complacent.

1 Like

Well, as we have indluded a digital painting topic already the step to include inkscape (and others) seems only logical.

Well music wouldn’t fit with the PIXLS title, and though I love music and come from music making I probably wouldn’t include this here, Because if you start opening up to non pixel oriented stuff than it would basically become an FLOSS forum and you could include anything, which isn’t bad but would/could become huge (to manage).

People could use other hosting sites like youtube etc. They are nicely embedded here and it wouldn’t require gigantic amounts of storage (imagine a play raw with movies :grimacing:)

1 Like

Inkscape would fit right in. Personally, I would place video, animation and 3d in a separate or sub forum. Audio would also be separate. The reason is that they are sufficiently large worlds on their own. Up to Mr Founder @patdavid of course :wink:.

@chris :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I second that. This could well be VCTRS.US but not so much SNDS.US. :grin:

And yes, Inkscape is just fantastic for collages, calendars, cards etc. and fits well into photographic post-processing.

1 Like
  1. Hooray for Inkscape (…and Kdenlive, Blender, and others) having a presence here.

• There’s an overlap for many of us, and forums for the other pro creation tools are mostly kind of lacking at the moment, so this is extremely welcome.
    • People use Inkscape (Kdenlive, Blender, etc.) for post-processing sometimes.
    • As far as “pixels” with vector editing software: It’s almost always the case that the output will be pixels, either as a PNG export, a printer (sometimes you need to flatten to a TIF, etc.), or at least the screen (where an SVG is designed for specific pixels).
  2. PeerTube has been mentioned on Mastodon for a while now. It’s a federated video platform that uses P2P with WebTorrent (that is, it’s transparent P2P to those of us using browsers with WebRTC, which is basically all modern browsers). GitHub - Chocobozzz/PeerTube: ActivityPub-federated video streaming platform using P2P directly in your web browser

• Popular posts (especially new ones) should help with video sharing a bit. Theoretically. (I wonder how many people it would take to make this work well.)
    • Ideally, there would be an easy way to opt-in to share bandwith. (Perhaps run a certain docker container or a command of some sort to help seed the videos.)
    • It’s possible to federate with other servers for publishing videos to multiple sites.
    • In the future, there’s some talk about having YouTube integration built-in (not sure if import and/or export).
    • It’s already possible to mirror content from YouTube channels with a little bit of extra effort; here’s an example: https://git.drycat.fr/rigelk/Peeror/wiki
1 Like

I think It’d be awesome if pixls.us offers a platform for all sorts of FLOSS creatives and artists. Many of these areas are quite related - video is related to photography, photography is related to design, design to publishing.
@70MM13 recently made a music video using rawtherapee - And I believe many filmmakers would be interested in that, not only photographers. I can even imagine including musicians and sound people here - as films are audio-visual creations, I don’t think the audio aspect of it should simply be excluded.
If we as a community want serious alternatives to proprietary software we should not isolate ourselves and instead unite and try to move forward in every area.

1 Like

Yes, to Inkscape, Blender, etc… I would even bend the rules a bit to include Scribus, given the number of times I see people trying to use Gimp for stuff which is clearly in Scribus’ realm. Welcome to eyecndy.us :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well said!

I couldn’t agree more.
The creative process is enhanced by exploring new and interesting ways to
use tools.
I’ve used rawtherapee in other video work before, including my feature
length film, “obviously: the real and the unreal”.

It was a real lifesaver for me, used to enhance the most difficult shots,
some of which were done by amateurs with camcorders in 2008!

Here’s a music video excerpt from the film:

https://youtu.be/V8-yas2AccM

The segment at the end was done with blender. I used it throughout the film
also.

I love open source software!

1 Like

If rawtherapee supported the MLV file format, you’d instantly add the magic
lantern filmmaker community, and have my gratitude!

Something to consider!

1 Like

My 2 cents:

1. yes on welcoming more projects it gives them less things to worry about and we can also see what is going on in other projects
  2. Unless people want to step up and help with maintaining …I am not keen on adding all those new tools. We don’t really need to run our own video hosting platform e.g.
4 Likes

The “music” idea was not really meant serious, but it has some truth in it. And I should have said “audio production”. And what are audio samples other than 1d pixels? :wink:

No, seriously, the common thing is not “FLOSS” but “FLOSS media production”, but it makes sense to draw a line somewhere and to grow to “all things visual” would be already a huge step. But it would be great if there were a place like this for FLOSS audio production as well. :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, I agree. I don’t think it would be wise to extend to Audio production on a forum that focuses on photography. But if one day photographers, designers, 3D artists and filmmaker live happily together on a platform like this - it would make sense to include Audio-related content as the topics relate a lot more (see professionally made chart)

professionally made chart

simplechart

4 Likes

Great chart :smiley:. But there is a direct overlap of all three that is missing: Photo slide shows (those that are burned to DVDs) and “multivision shows” (that’s how they are called here in Germany, don’t know if this is real English, I think of public talks given by a photographer with really big screen showing photographs, short movie clips, background music, …).

Btw, how did you make the diagram unfoldable in the post?

hi, a category sounds about right. Is the traffic massive? in which case maybe forum?

Is this stuff like this? - image
In which case I’d say No! Or were you joking? I’ve never heard of vector hippies before…!

Audio - I use Ardour - https://ardour.org/ - brilliant - but audio sounds a bit out-of-gamut for Pixls IMHO.

1 Like

It was a joke!

1 Like

Well, you can also use Audacity to create glitch art - which is very well related to pixls - but I don’t believe that and your points would justify a dedicated Ardour, LMMS, Audacity, Musescore (…) category yet.

ffmpeg would be the first one on my list for sure. There are also mediainfo and bento4 for metadata manipulation as well as diaporama for slideshow creating.

1 Like

Maybe we have the start of a foss-r-us network (with three pillars, Image, Video, Audio), like they evolved the whole StackExchange network from StackOverflow. PatDavid, the new web tycoon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Photography means memories for me. Video files can be memories too which is why I consider them photography for myself. Speaking for myself only

2 Likes

But audio is like images for your ears!