Compiling darktable .dmg: A bump in the tracks

@patdavid is a moderator, actually, as evidenced by the shield next to the username.

In the interest of moving forward, here are things that can possibly be done to help darktable on mac:

1. Improve the documentation (all on github, just fix and make a pull request)
  2. Improve the macports build: set the necessary environment variables
  3. Make a tap/cask for homebrew - they seem to have rejected adding darktable straight away to homebrew, but you can contribute a “tap” which is a custom build script.
  4. join parafin in #darktable on freenode IRC to help with the recent builds
3 Likes

I’m just a fellow who uses these projects, and am lucky enough to call many of the developers friends.

I also created pixls.us.

We have a hard enough time trying to advance the state and acceptance of Free Software for photography in general w/o having to deal with internal nastiness also.

Please bear in mind what I mentioned earlier.

5 Likes

Thanks, Mica :grinning:

Once I find out how to play with the IRC, I’ll try to get in touch with parafin -even though I probably just torpedoed any confidence in my usefulness and thus participation by alluding to basic IRC ignorance :wink:

OK, that was a classy response. I apologize to all here for the patronizing comments. Just frustrated. And, as a lifelong Mac user/defender, perceived slurs and short shrifts also tick one off.

Sorry.

5 Likes

It is often difficult to read someone’s tone and intention online and the fact that we may not know each other IRL makes it all the more complicated. I am glad that we have some closure. Personally, I joined this forum because it is so much fun being here, learning from and interacting with people.

Apps discussed here get more features over time. I just cross my fingers hoping that the next feature is one that I care about :stuck_out_tongue:.

IRC isn’t really that hard, it’s just a chatroom. Here is a link for a web irc client. It should take you directly to #darktable. Just set your desired user name.

2 Likes

As a heads-up to this thread: I have completed step 1 in the BUILD.TXT file, which results in a seemingly working version of 2.5.0 on my MacBook.

Next step will be to proceed with steps 2 and 3 and see if I can create a DMG.

I already found some points where the BUILD.TXT can be improved, I hope to be able to update that later (that will be my first time working with GitHub).

edit - steps 2 and 3 done too. I now have a working .DMG. The version is 2.5.0+95. I will still have to find out how to clone the 2.4.0 from Git instead of (what I assume to be) the most recent nightly build.

2 Likes

@bram every release gets tagged, to see all tags:

git tag

Then to checkout a specific tag:

git checkout release-2.5.0

When you do that, you will be in ‘detached HEAD’ state. If you want to get the latest development code, you need to switch back to master before you pull:

git checkout master
git pull
1 Like

Thank you.

The BUILD.TXT mentions ‘git clone git://github.com/darktable-org/darktable.git’.

Can I just replace that with ‘git checkout release-2.4.0’?

Sorry for my questions - I have been a computer programmer in the past but I never worked with Git :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, you first need to get this source code repository, and that is done by the command you quoted.
Good stuff:
https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2

1 Like

Thx. I think I’m beginning to understand what happens. I will rtfm :wink:

1 Like

Note that there is no such release.
All releases have even numbers.
These odd tags, as the tag description says, are not releases.

@LebedevRI Thank you for clarifying. This was just a try. My next goal is to create a .DMG for 2.4.0

edit: I successfully created a .DMG with release 2.4.0.

One problem left - it says 2.4.0+dirty in the top left corner of the window.

I need to remove the ‘+dirty’.

But how?

Otherwise - I am happy. Now I can finally process Fuji compressed RAW :smiley:

Thank you to the devs.

Bram, did you happen to do anything differently than the instructions for gtk-mac-bundler state? As noted, I was able to compile dt 2.4.0 for my Mac box but I wasn’t able to produce a functioning Disk Image.

No I did not. BTW I have made a pull request on GitHub with the changes I made to the BUILD.TXT file. Even though it isn’t accepted yet you can still read my changes in the pull request.

Maybe this can help:

2 Likes

Parafin is back and said that the OSX package will be build next weekend. :+1:

4 Likes

Welcome back, Parafin :man_cartwheeling: :tada: :woman_cartwheeling:

Hi there,
I’m new to Mac and as I’d like to contribute to DT and be able to pull the latest dev version, compile it and use it along side 2.6.0 (is that ok?) I’m trying to follow the BUILD.TXT instructions.

I’m currently stuck with this line :cp -R "$(port dir python36)" ~/ports/lang
which is part of all the patches for python and other things just because we’ve set the deployment target to 10.7.
I’m totally unsure as to know if this is absolutely necessary… This is what I get:

$ cp -R "$(port dir python36)" ~/ports/lang
-bash: port: command not found
cp: : No such file or directory

Edit : I haven’t restarted my terminal after installing Macports hence this error… Sorry about that, just figured that out. I am still going through the build.txt and will let you know where I’m at :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone
Cheers