Concorde Alpha Foxtrot

G-BOAF was built at Filton (Bristol, UK) and retired here when the Concorde fleet was retired in 2003. I put this one up here to see what others can do with denoising…I’ve used two instances of profiled denoise which seems to work OK (I think).

EDIT jpg added!

The picture was taken at the Aerospace museum, Filton, on a Fuji X-H1, XF10-24, ISO6400, handheld. It doesn’t really do justice to this aircraft. Up close she’s so beautiful she can make you weep.

DSCF0504.RAF (28.2 MB)
DSCF0504.RAF.xmp (11.1 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

9 Likes

My version…

DSCF0504.RAF.xmp (18.9 KB)

2 Likes

DSCF0504.RAF.xmp (17.0 KB)

2 Likes

A beautiful photograph of a beautiful aircraft. I couldn’t resist the temptation to play. GIMP.

5 Likes

My try in dt 4.2.1

DSCF0504.RAF.xmp (6.9 KB)

2 Likes

My try on this beauty

DSCF0504_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (14.5 KB)

1 Like

Can’t pass up an airplane…

You wanted denoise, here-tis’ in rendition resizing:

I stopped messing with Richardson-Lucy and nlmeans when I realized most of my images were going to be regarded small-sized. Resize interpolation with a decent kernel (I use Lanczos3) wipes out a whole bunch of sins, with the statistical variation of noise being one of the most predominant.

That, and a bit of a crop to take the attention away from the museum displays on the left.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing the image. What a beautiful plane. I opened the image and looked at denoising options. I agree that your two instances of denoise worked well. I sharpened the image and did a snapshot of one instance of denoise (profiled), I then compared it to two instances of denoise and preferred that. I then took a snapshot of two instances of denoise and compared that with a single instance of denoise but with the strength set at 1.5 and then 2. I feel the 1.5 matches the two instances very closely. The strength of 2 reduces the noise the most and it would be personal taste which one you prefer, but I suggest turning up the strength with one instance of the denoise (profiled) module would be the way to go.

I haven’t posted the resulting pictures here as it would be best to test my suggestions out yourself on your system. I do find the denoise (profiled) module excellent with most noise problems.

Interesting how you used parametric mask to adjust selective colour ranges, I’ve not thought of that! Your version is a bit darker than I remember, but it works. Thanks.

1 Like

One of these days (weeks more like) I really am going to have to get my head around GIMP. Thanks.

DSCF0504.RAF.xmp (10.0 KB)

DT 4.2.1

1 Like

I used 1 instance of Denoise (Profiled), Haze removal, Lens correction.
From experimenting, I found haze removal helps with noise removal.

DSCF0504_DT.RAF.xmp (7.8 KB)

1 Like

DSCF0504.RAF.xmp (21.3 KB)

Darktable 4.2, finally tweaked in Gimp.

2 Likes

Nice crop

RT-5.9 with inverted curvature on the lower end.
DSCF0504-3.jpg.out.pp3 (26.3 KB)

DSCF0504.RAF.xmp (25.5 KB)

1 Like

My fun in GIMP

1 Like